Blind Dado Settings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

BenRatt

Blind Dado Settings

Post by BenRatt »

I am using blind dados in a cabinet and cutting them on my router. One cabinet I'm doing has a back that is full dado'd into the sides. In order to change the depth and fit clearance I had to change the blind dado settings for the SIDES not the BACK. This doesn't make sense to me but it worked. Is this how it is supposed to work? Thanks, Ben
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Ben

Settings for joinery belong to the part being machined.

If you are using side flush settings this is correct. For back flush the settings would be on the back.
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

OK, that makes sense now. Thanks!
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

I am using blind dados in a cabinet and cutting them on my router. One cabinet I'm doing has a back that is full dado'd into the sides. In order to change the depth and fit clearance I had to change the blind dado settings for the SIDES not the BACK. This doesn't make sense to me but it worked. Is this how it is supposed to work? Thanks, Ben
Ben,
The dado fit and clearance settings were recently changed (build 12 I think) so assuming you're running the latest build, all settings for joint construction belong to the part whos edge is involved in the joint (not the part whos face is involved)

In build 12 the settings should belong to the BACK. I haven't tested it so you may have found a bug. How did you determine that the setting changes only work if you change the Sides?

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

I first noticed the problem because the backs wouldn't fit in the dados. So I increased the back fit clearance to .05\" and the backs still didn't fit. So then I went to ecabs, and nested it. While still in the nest view I clicked on the part and looked at the dimensions for the dado and they never changed no matter what I set the fit/depth clearance to. But once I changed the settings for the sides, it showed that they were the correct size (increased to .05\" clearance). I then changed them to .02\" and ran the parts and they fit great. I am running build 12.
I was confused because beneath the settings it says \"the values only apply to dados created by this part\" so to me I was doing the right thing by changing the settings for the back. Thanks for the assistance.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Dave

I remember this discussion now from way back in version 5 beta testing. The question is though, has it actually been implemented?

Does it matter (for the fit settings) whether you have flush back or flush sides?

Since I don't have a router I can't see the end result like Ben and you can so I'm just going on what I see in eCabinets.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

DanEpps wrote:Ben

Settings for joinery belong to the part being machined.

If you are using side flush settings this is correct. For back flush the settings would be on the back.
Actually, I have this backward anyway :oops:

Side flush settings are on the BACK and back flush settings are on the SIDES.

I think this is exactly what Dave said too.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Dan,
What made me believe it was implemented were the changes on the Construction Parameter tabs under the dado settings that say: \"The changes only apply to dados CREATED BY THIS PART!\"

Also according to the release notes for build 11....
Dado clearances now apply to the dados created by the part that has the setting. i.e. Setting a 1/16” Dado Fit Clearance value in the Top’s Construction Parameters will cause the dado in a Right End to be wider (not longer) by 1/16” if the Top is Blind or Full Dado into the Right End. (ALTERED)
Something's wrong.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I think we are just digging ourselves deeper into confusion :shock: and Ben is still scratching his head.

I tinkered around with it some and it appears that either I am more confused than ever (probably) or the change was changed by build 12 (possibly?).
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Ben and All,

The tolerance should apply to the dado created by the part. So far as I know after much discussion on this subject your initial thoughts were correct, Ben. If this is not happening then it must be a bug. Dave must remember this was changed in V4 along the way for some reason and then they changed back to the way it should be early in V5. The reason to dado this way is so you have more control over different dados on the same part.
Dan, I hope this helps.

Forrest