advertising and marketing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Greg McCorkill

advertising and marketing

Post by Greg McCorkill »

I am looking for some help in designing a logo and a tri fold brochure.Also wondering if a website actually helps with sales and what do you put on one?Till now I have relied on referals and word of mouth but am looking to get more work. THanks for any input
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

Just a web site by itself won't necessarily increase sales, but it is a valuable sales tool. Why are you looking for a brochure, yet questioning a web site?

In all of my print advertising, I reference my web site. I can put a lot of information up there that I can't put in a 50 word classified ad. I can pepper the classified with links to my web site where I get a chance to tell my story. Did it directly influence a sale? Probably. Potential customer get the chance to go up and see what I can do and what I'm about.

It also gives me a chance to be interactive with the customer in my advertising. I am currently running classified ads pinpointing a \"new home for your Plasma or LCD TV\" - then there's a link on my web site to \"check out our professionally designed TV credenza's\" (guess where that came from?) - prominently, right on the front page. Click there and you can download all the PDF brochures from Thermwood on the TV Credenza's.

I measure the traffic as well. I can put a counter in each page in the site that allows me to see what the customer's are looking at. Since I started running the ads two weeks ago I've had 143 views of the TV credenza page. The ad cost $24.00

So, yes, a web site is an invaluable addition to your marketing grab bag. If you do end up with a brochure as well, make sure you also get a copy as a PDF file to put on your web site so folks can just download it...
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Greg,
Don't know if your interested but you can get a web site up today totally free at MS Office Live. Here's the link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/offic ... fault.aspx It's not going to be fancy, but you can have a professional looking site up and running in about an hour with pictures, graphics, and all! Make sure to choose the basic free package though, the others are just more of the same for more money. They will register your URL (like: http://www.yourname.com) and there are even some limited search engine optimization tools. The site set up is so easy even a computer dummy like me can do a decent site.
-Jeff
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Greg,
I'm just starting out too and am also struggling with the marketing thing. I did 6 direct mail drops last year that cost about $450 each. They were effective (about $40k worth of business), but they brought the wrong caliber of customer (low budget). I've also gotten work from the signs on my truck, and hand outs (when I get desperate). But I sure wish one of these big shop guys would let loose with some info on how they get new business and keep the saws humming. I know word of mouth is the best, and it works well once you’re established. But when your customer base is still small and growing, there’s not enough people out there telling your story. There has to be a more effective way to market.
-Jeff
greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

Post by greg youngken »

Greg
My business is mostly with contractors so I don't need to do allot of advertising. The down side is having to be more competitive, but it's a big plus having a few good contractors to keep me busy. It's about doing the pr work to find the right contractors to work with.
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com
Greg McCorkill

marketing

Post by Greg McCorkill »

Jeff when you say mail drop what are talking about?
Jeff Blewitt

Re: marketing

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Greg McCorkill wrote:Jeff when you say mail drop what are talking about?
I use a company called Mailbox Marketing. The product is similar to ValPak or Advo, with multiple ads is one envelope. We mailed a professionally designed ad at a rate of 10k to 20k every other month. For Feb 07 we did a complete make-over on the ad to see if we can attract a better class of customer. So, I wouldn't recomend this type of ad until I see the results from the new one. For example, I did Valpak (change of vehicle experiment) for December & January at a rate of 20k, and got ZERO. not even 1 call. $800 down the drain! At least I learned not to use them again!
-Jeff
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I would like to give the small shop some free advice. Don't stop... and whatever you do don't give up. I don't know if every larger sized company would be willing to give away money to someone who could potentially ruin them but for the most part the best I ever got was... Don't give up.

If there are areas you wold like to market such as the gated communities try giving a hutch or pie-safe away to some one who works for the design center in the builders office. Do whatever it takes to plant that seed. And watch it grow. Go to the builder's design centers and look around to see if there is anything you can make for the center. It doesn't have to be a cabinet set a door or two works well, A small but fancy flower stand with a great finish.

If you are like me in any way you probably have a door or two (or a lot more) that you can do a sample of your specialty finishes on and present it to the builder. The finish is going to be your biggest hindrance if you are laking in that area. If they can't see what your talking about they won't buy it. The builders have to have a sample to present to their clientele for approval. Otherwise it's a vain word.

Go out and make contacts while eating lunch at a buffet. Don't be afraid to start a conversation with a total stranger. Visit the restaurants where you see big trucks and signs that tell you there are builders in there.

For whatever it's worth to you; this free advice is worth a lot more than you think.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Those are excellent tips Mike!

You cover several areas that many overlook when thinking about marketing.

I'd like to add to what you said with this: \"Never miss any opportunity to market your products and services. Always keep your and ears eyes open and be prepared to talk about your business.\"

Too many folks miss out on opportunities because they are \"out to lunch.\" Turn every lunch into a marketing event.

The idea of placing a unique piece of furniture that you build in the development's show home/sales office is a great idea. Home buyers will see it and ask about it, then the sales agent is \"obligated to help\" sell your services. :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

One thing I forgot in my reply: This is also an excellent place to leave your Idea Books!
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Jeff, you might want to try talking to designers. It seems they are always looking for someone willing to do custom work.