Windows Vista: To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

There is a WOW64 app in the 64-bit versions that is suppose to provide some level of capability for 32-bit apps. If it work great, if it dont oh well.

If you are to upgrade to vista, i recommend doing a fresh, clean install instead of upgrading. If you upgrade, you will just be carring over everything that was wrong with your xp system. Vista is a totally different OS and works best if with a clean install.
http://www.dailytech.com/Workaround+Dis ... le5932.htm

Since you are change windows versions you most likely will have to get a new RegCode.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Wow! After reading that DailyTech thread I am even more inclined to wait for quite a while before considering installing Vista!

Let Microsoft get the kinks worked out of the install process first and prevent lots of headaches.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re:

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Rick Deskins wrote:FYI. To run eCabinets on Vista, it must be a 32-bit version of vista. 64-bit vista will install, but you will not get it to run properly, if at all.
We've found a problem with Windows Vista 64-bit Edition that won't allow eCabinet Systems to function. I've sent an update for the Recommended Systems page to our site administrator to make note of this.

Rick Deskins has reported here also about the driver issue.

Mike, as I recall, it wasn't smooth to get XP 64-bit to run. Was that you I worked with? I dont recall.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

I worked with Jason on it quite a bit over the phone, perhaps you and I posted here about it.

There's nothing really tricky about getting it to work, actually. (Except figuring it out.) Most of the files need to exist in 2 folders; the Program Files folder AND the Program Files (x86) folder. It seems to be nothing more than a directory and path problem.

The way Jason and I figured, eCabs needs to reside in the Program Files folder because of the paths etc. hardwired into the software and perhaps DLLs and such, but 64bit XP needs it in the (x86) folder because it's NOT a 64bit application. So I installed it, then just simply copied the entire Thermwood folder to the other directory. I may be oversimplifying, but I don't think we had to change any registry entries etc.

After that, it was smooth sailing. Well, there ARE a coupla small issues, but I've since stopped bitching about them because I was told that eCabs will no longer be supported on my OS. They're more annoyance than anything: I can't overwrite any cabinet or assembly file with the same name even if I confirm that I want to overwrite - I must choose a unique name. Otherwise it's been the best version I've worked with so far, and I can't wait for the next!!!

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.