Tapered Flutes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Tapered Flutes

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I finally figured out how to make a flute look correct on a pilaster. Now I need to make a tapered flute for a pilaster. This would be using a 1\" corebox bit starting at a depth of .5\" and ending at a depth of .375\" over a length of 62\". Is this even possible? I've tried a few things but they don't look correct. Is it even possible to vary the plunge depth over a specific distance?

Thanks.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

OK, I did it, but I cheated. I put the flutes in the pilaster and then I tapered the entire length of the board using a tool. Then when I went to place it on a cabinet I had to apply some rotation to make the front of the pilaster parallel with the front of the cabinet. Is there another way to do so the flutes themselves are the tapered part and not cutting into the entire board?
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Leo,
No, At the moment, we do not have a way to adjust the values using the part editor, in the Z direction. This is just a 2D profile modeler. But if anyone else knows of a way, please post.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

OK, here is what it looks like. Not for anything to build, just to show it can be done. It is set up improperly to show the effect. Usually the spaces in between the flutes are constant and the top and bottoms of the combined flutes is different, top being smaller.

What I did is do the usual thing to make a stop flute and then I had to make two tools to taper the length of the board, on the front, a tool to take a 3/8\" cut off the top and tapered to zero as it got to the bottom. On the backside of the display cube I made a tool to take a 0 cut off the top and tapered down to 3/8\" cut by the time it got to the bottom. It wouldn't let me use the same tool to do the front and the back so I had to make mirror images of the tools to get the job done. I had to make my display cube 3/8\" thicker that the final board thickness to account for the taper cutting, 1 1/8\" cut to 3/4\" thickness.