eCabinet video tutorials?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Robert Williams

eCabinet video tutorials?

Post by Robert Williams »

I'm new to ecabinet and this forum. I've played around a little with eCabinet and manual but like with any software that has a deep interface there is a long learning curve. Is there any video tutorials for eCabinet? or any online video's that cover the basics of getting you up and running so the software is not so intimidating.

Thanks,

Robert
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Hi Robert and welcome to the family!

There are currently no video tutorials available but I am creating a comprehensive interactive training course that will have slides, videos and quizzes to assess your progress.

The course will contain several CDs and covers eCabinets from top to bottom.

I expect to have it completed and available for purchase within the next few weeks. I have not determined the pricing yet as I don't know just how many CDs will be in the set but right now it is looking like it will have 10-12 CDs though.

I am considering making a DVD-ROM version for those who have DVD drives in their computers. This of course would be far fewer total disks to keep up with while having the same content.
Robert Williams

Dan,

Sounds great, I'll be the first one to purchase the first course.

Would you considering streaming it over the web and charging a fee?

Thanks,

Robert
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That was actually my first thought on delivering the training but it quickly grew so large that it would be nearly impossible. Some of my videos are nearly 500MB and take up an entire CD. That would take a very, very long time to download even on a fast connection.
Robert Williams

Dan,

Sorenson Squeeze Pro could compress that 500 MB down to 25 MB and the quality of the video stream would still be excellent. I use Sorenson on my video projects that I post onto the internet.

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/products/?pageID=1#ppc3

http://visiongatefilm.com/video_pu.php? ... large2.mov
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I am using a proprietary anti-piracy codec that I developed that uses 512 bit encryption and provides a very high compression rate.

The raw AVI files for some of the videos are quite large as you can imagine. One file was just under 2GB and compressed it is under 100MB.

I also use a video player I developed that decompresses and decrypts the input stream to play these videos. The videos cannot be played without this player and it is a Windows-only application.

The other limiting factor is infrastructure. It would just take too long to rearchitect everything for the web.
Robert Williams

Just out of curiosity why do you use .avi for the video instead of .mov or .mpg4?

I think that is amazing that you developed your own codec, I wish I was that smart.

Can't wait for your eCabinet training course :D
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

AVI provides the highest quality lossless video and is the raw capture format for any video before it is converted into MPEG, WMV or MOV.

I capture everything at 29.97 FPS to achieve the smoothest motion and best colors. I normally slow the video down to 20 FPS while editing and add any audio track at that speed. That gives the highest quality end result for combined audio and video.

MPEG is the native format for camcorders and DVD players although newer players will play AVI or WMV.

I have software that allows up to 64 tracks of audio and 64 tracks of video in addition to 32 tracks of transitions/special effects. Once I finish editing the combined tracks I produce it in AVI then convert it using the post-processor that I developed.

It was a real learning experience developing the post-processor--lots of swearing (under my breath and out loud) but it was very satisfying in the end.
Steve Back

Post by Steve Back »

Did a set of CD's or DVD's ever get released? I am new to eCabinet and am amazed at the potential. My problem is I don't have time to figure out for an hour how to make an arched top on a book case. The 3 day seminar looks good but none are close to me at the momment.
Thanks for any update,
Steve
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Not yet Steve, but Thermwood is planning on having some video tutorials with the next release of eCabinets. I don't know how extensive they will be but I'm sure they will be helpful.

You say you \"don't have time to figure out for an hour how to make an arched top on a book case.\" Devoting time to the program is the only way you will ever learn it.

Even if you take a class, you still have to devote time to expanding on what you learn in class to get the most from eCabinets.

On the help menu you will find \"eCabinet Systems Made Easy.\" That is an excellent guide on using the software. Start at the top and go through the exercises. Don't skip around in the guide as parts build on previous sections.
Steve Back

Post by Steve Back »

Thanks for the reply Dan,
I guess \"don't have the time\" was an off the cuff remark. More a frustration level of being unfamiliar with the program. I hope to attend a 3 day seminar soon, maybe they will host one somewhere in the southeast. I am located in Birmingham Al, I see you are in the NW part of GA. Atlanta or Birmingham would be a great location for a 3 day seminar!
I plan to block off some time around the holidays to devote 2 days to just going through the manual.
Thanks,
Steve
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I understand the frustration level very well. eCabinets is a complex package and with that complexity comes a learning curve.

I just looked at the upcoming training schedule (click the eCabinet Systems Home link at the top of the screen) and there is nothing in the southeast scheduled through February. Thermwood will have a big presence at the IWF in Atlanta this summer and they always have training sessions available there.

In the meantime, post any questions you have and someone will answer quickly.
Tony Marrazzo

Post by Tony Marrazzo »

I agree, it has a difficult learning curve, an using it is how you learn. However, the biggest help to me by far was just going through the older posts on the forum, looking at the headings and if it looked like it was of interest I read it. I learned so much so fast it was unbelievable. I just spent an hour or so an evening looking at old posts. I look at it as I can spend a few hours watchin the tube and get a little entertainment value from it or invest my time and learn what an awesome piece of software this really is. I like TV as much as the next guy but success in my business is more important to me. This forum is one of the most valuable parts of the software! Just use it and don't be afraid to make mistakes, you can always fix em and save often!!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You have a very good point Tony...this forum is a great place to learn.

One thing that would help is that if everyone would use subject lines that describe the content of the post and not something like \"what the ????\" or \"what causes this???\".
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Re:

Post by Glenn Warner »

DanEpps wrote:
I am considering making a DVD-ROM version for those who have DVD drives in their computers. This of course would be far fewer total disks to keep up with while having the same content.
Dan,

I would expect that any computer running ecabs would have a DVD drive. Perhaps a poll could save you some work?

Regards,

Glenn