Scaled drawings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Scaled drawings

Post by Michael Yeargain »

For the record I don't know of a way to produce scaled drawings ie. 1/4\"=1'. Is there a way to do this? If not can this be done with the line drawing editor in a future build?

Please.

And another simple thing I would like is to re-size the dialogs. I can only see a part of the cabinet defaults information, and insert item information. The scrolls are a nuisance to me.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

I have the same problem with viewing the cabinet info. in room detail, and it can be quite the pain to have to go to plan view, highlight the cabinet, just to check the cab. width as installed. We have actually already talked about this in another post a week or so ago. I hope the smart guys are listening..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael S Murray wrote:I hope the smart guys are listening..
I'm listening...oh wait, I thought you said "smart-a**" guys. :joker:

Sorry :oops:
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

DanEpps wrote:
Michael S Murray wrote:I hope the smart guys are listening..
I'm listening...oh wait, I thought you said "smart-a**" guys. :joker:

Sorry :oops:
Oh but you're still listening :wink:
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

You are one of the smart guys Dan, just not one of the particular ones I was reffering to.....
Read your post on the training dvd, I work 7 days a week and cant keep up, I jsut dont know when you get all this done.Maybe you should move to Indiana, at least up here you could witness a real BLIZZARD as we have just shut down the 3 main highways out of town this morning?Ok, 2 hours to go before client meeeting and I have to finish a really tricked out kitchen with every thing you could imagine in it, wish me luck cause I will need it making this lady happy. She started with no less than 30 design rags when she walked in my door.....
Mike Murray
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael S Murray wrote:You are one of the smart guys Dan, just not one of the particular ones I was reffering to.....
Read your post on the training dvd, I work 7 days a week and cant keep up, I jsut dont know when you get all this done.Maybe you should move to Indiana, at least up here you could witness a real BLIZZARD as we have just shut down the 3 main highways out of town this morning?Ok, 2 hours to go before client meeeting and I have to finish a really tricked out kitchen with every thing you could imagine in it, wish me luck cause I will need it making this lady happy. She started with no less than 30 design rags when she walked in my door.....
That is very kind of you to say Mike :oops: . I work seven days a week as well, most of them in the neighborhood of 18 hours. If it just wasn't for the need to sleep a little I could get so much more done. :shock:

Hey if the roads are closed maybe your client will be late or cancel today???

Of course if she had a certain Idea Book she wouldn't have needed all of those design magazines :wink:
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Must be nice to have time for sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in on the design books if it goes, I thought the area for the sticker was good, then they could all be generic. If you do muster the troops on that one, I would like to be able to get in a couple projects photos on it.

I actually have more work than I can get to and pretty much always do, last week I had three calls basically saying that they wanted me to do their projects, but were getting a little upset that I had not even got to their designs. I came up with nothing and started as a carpenter, so it is just so hard for me to say no, or I cant get to your project, goes against my grain I guess..I am geared up to do a pretty nice custom kitchen every 10 days and still cant keep up, never thought I would see that day.I AINT that smart........Good luck with the training videos, I bet those will go over well, that is if everyone that complaines will put there money where there mouth is..
Thanks Dan,
Mike Murray
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Your reply reminded me of an idea I had the other day. There are lots of folks in your enviable position of having so much work lined up that they can't get to it all.

We have production sharing to hook members without a CNC up with members that have excess CNC time.

Why not a similar program where members can outsource design to other members? You know, send the specs and receive HSF, ESJ or ESA files.

Of course that assumes that someone actually has excess design time on their hands if that is possible.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

just getting in on this thread...but Dan you hit the nail on the head. In reading Mike's reply...I can empathize, I'm in the same boat. Being the only person in my organization working on design - I end up picking and choosing which one's I want to respond to. Sometimes I choose right (like that library I posted the other day) other times I'll choose \"the library\" and lose it and several others.

I think the design sharing idea is a great one. In addition to our custom shop, Ginny and I do represent two \"lines\" of cabinetry one of them, Showplace Wood Products offers a design program. Send in the info and they will return designs with in 78 hours, priced and ready to go. The cost is $75 including two revisions...if the sale is made and product ordered they rebate back half of the design cost.

We have just started to utilize the program and so far it has worked very well. I've been pleased with the designs coming back and it certainly has helped me by getting the \"basics\" in place and then all I have to do is tweak a few things before presenting it to the customer.

Mark
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Design Sharing already exists. The Design Sharing program in eCabinets is not just for large libraries of basic cabinets, it is for everything. If you draw a nice desk, entertainment center, vent hood or island cabinet, send it in. Others can then do a search and if they like your design they can purchase it. The more designs available the better for everyone. If you don't see the design that you want post a request in the Design Sharing forum. Other designers will see this and can choose to help you out. They can then place this design in the Design Sharing program and get more benefit from it. Design sharing will only work if many of us participate.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Very true Kerry. Like every program of this sort, it will succeed only if many members participate.

What I had in mind though was not the Design Sharing concept, but outsourcing all of ones design work. There are small shops where the owner would rather spend time building than using a computer and something like this would benefit them.

A combination of Design Sharing, Production Sharing and Design Outsourcing would give the small shop the most flexibility.

Now, outsourcing would only work if there are members who have \"excess\" design time available and want to sell their time and experience to others. I don't know (and even doubt) if that commodity exists.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I in particular like the idea of outsourcing the design. However it opens a generic avenue for OOps. And then the finger pointing game. Ther is always a liability issue with me. Who's liable and who's not?

I think the design needs to come from a very reputable sources first of all; and there are just enough power users out there to fit the bill. But, then there comes the time constraints. Who of the power users has this kind of time on their hands?

Earlier in my profession I was begging for the design/work. But would it have ruined me if my designs would have proven unusable. possible yes, probably yes, most likely yes.

This is just a little thing thet comes to mind for me. Just thought I would like to place that in the kettle of the united hungry cabinet makers. :lol:
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

By the way...

Can we get a corporate want for scaled drawing?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

not sure how we got so far off the subject...count me in!

Mark
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Sorry about that Mike, looks like I am the one who sidetracked your post.
Yes, I would also like to see the ability to scale drawings, although I realize that could be very complex, and possibly open up some problems down the line..
Mike Murray