Hearth Style Range Hood Design

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TimHovde

Hearth Style Range Hood Design

Post by TimHovde »

The cabinet project that I am now working on is spec'ed out to have one of those hearth style exhust hoods. I have seen a number of them in photographs, but have not been able to find information on the design and dimensions.

Here are a couple of the questions that I have:

What are typical depths and widths of the columns that sit on the countertop?

What would be the depth of the actual \"hood\"?

What would the recommended height of the \"fan\" unit be off of the range top? How far should the valance come down from there?

How much wider than the range top should the interior be?

How is the best way to mount the fantect unit?

Any help, or other design ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Tim

I can't answer your questions but I can say this:

The distance for mounting the unit above the cooktop is controlled by local building codes but a minimum distance should be listed in the manufacturer's specifications for the unit.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Tim,

is this kindof what you're talking about?

To answer your basic question. The height is really dependant on the CFM of the unit. Most are about 20-24 inches from the surface of the cooktop. While microwave units are about 18\".

You can use a veriety of cabinets arranged to accomplish this Hearth appearance. Use your imagination.

The depth of these two cabinets beside the unit are 15\" while the \"hearth\" around it is 18\" This is assuming a Max 3\" bed for the crown molding.

I am not aware of any specs on this fantec unit. But you can do a search on the WWW to find the specs And go from there.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Tim,

The last one I did was 22\" deep, 42\" wide and was 26\" above the cooktop. Code requires 24\" in my area (check local codes as Dan suggests). The hood box measured 30\" tall, and the hood liner and blower (Dacor IVS1) was recessed about 4\" up into the hood box.

The most important is the proportions based on the width of the hood (the wider the better; Mike's design allows the most flexability) and placement of the doors, if any. I blew it on this hood - the doors are placed too low for my liking but the customer preferred it this way (and she pays the bills...). Hope this helps!

Dale
Attachments
s pic 011907 016ver2.jpg
s pic 011907 016ver2.jpg (535.45 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com