Global Material changes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

KevinDunn

Global Material changes

Post by KevinDunn »

Hi All,

On occasion I have a client that would like to see what an assembly would look like with a different finish or material, say from Oak to Maple. I typically take a laptop to present their cabinets to them in a room layout.

When working with an assembly or even an individual cabinet, can I quickly change the material without going in and updating the sheet stock, borad stock, doors etc? Perhaps there is an easier way, that I have just not found yet.

Thanks

Kevin
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

I run into that situation on nearly every job. I do mainly built-ins and closets, so backless, frameless, doorless assemblies are my mainstay. I always hear \"can I see it in maple/white/oak\"?

I have found a very dirty trick for substituting a global texture change quickly, but I really can't suggest anyone else use my approach. It involves tinkering around under the hood a bit, so it's not appropriate to share it. The Thermwood team would drive across the stateline and lynch me if people started hosing their configurations with my method, so I'll leave it at that.

As a sales tool, this feature is indispensable. Making it \"real time\" and do-able in front of the client can make it a lot easier to get those deposit checks \"on the spot\". I'd love to see a clean way to accomplish this though the user interface.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

That's evil, wicked, mean and nasty (to quote Steppenwolf)!!!

What are you doing, renaming the color files and reopening the job?
Dan Gilleece

Re:

Post by Dan Gilleece »

DanEpps wrote:That's evil, wicked, mean and nasty (to quote Steppenwolf)!!!

What are you doing, renaming the color files and reopening the job?
Dan,

My brutal kludge is detailed in a PM to you. Let me know what you think.

The Other Dan
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

As I replied in a PM, that's slick but it has a pretty high potential for causing problems for users that aren't extremely comfortable with eCabinets and Windows.

As a side note, the ability to quickly change finishes would really be nice to have in a future version.
KevinDunn

Post by KevinDunn »

you guys are killing me here.. :) I love it.

Actually I'm just happy to know I wasn't overlooking something simple for once. WOW

All kidding aside, having this feature would be an invaluable sales tool. Instant gratification of a customer certainly helps with a deposit check.

Since I am on the lower end of the comfort scale with eCabs, I won't even go down the path of asking what the workaround was.

Kevin
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Heh, heh, heh :twisted:

Kidding aside that would be a great feature. I do know it has been discussed in the forum many times before.

Maybe it is slated to be in a future release???
Jose Duarte

Post by Jose Duarte »

Well!!!!

There is a secret going on! How did you guys did it?
Maybe I missed something but I think that was done over PM's and not letting us know how you did it.

That's really evil, wicked, mean,selfish, ugly and nasty to quote myself!

If you guys don't mind... Please elaborate.

Thank you
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sorry, Wrong thread.
Dan Gilleece

Re:

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Jose Duarte wrote:Well!!!!

If you guys don't mind... Please elaborate.

Thank you

I'm going to run it by the guys at Thermwood, and see what they prefer. As stated, it's complicated and could introduce complications in support. I'm in their house, and need to make sure I don't break their rules.