E-cabs for Dummies like me

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jose Duarte

E-cabs for Dummies like me

Post by Jose Duarte »

Hello Folks,

Is there a way that there can be a \"special\" section for \"special people\" like me?. I'm very sure that there are many, many others in the same predicament that are using e-cabinets and are kind of OK but need \"a little special help\" to fully take advantage of the program to it's full potential. I'm their voice!

I'm talking about a member like me asking some very dumb question about some very dumb issue that in the regular forum somebody will answer something like this \"Check the archives\". Well, to somebody like me, it will take me a while to figure out how to get into the \"Archives\" and in those \"Archives\" the information might be outdated and no longer applicable.

Get my point?

Now, this is my proposition: Mr. Fullington (My Heroe) has his \"Kerry's Corner\"
I will take the heat of been labeled \"The Dummy\" and have the \"Jose Duarte's Corner\" for real beginers and for dumb questions, away from the masters and the folks that can do a lot more with the software, so everybody can benefit from both worlds.

I strongly believe that this idea will get new and existing members to be more active in the forums and more important to learn more about what this program is all about.

Of course, I will need a lot of help answering all kinds of questions, but, this is when the big guys can read the posts and help us with their expertise.

Thank you
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Jose

I feel your pain there brother. Sometimes answers don't really provide enough information. Most of the time though, the question is what doesn't provide enough information.

I usually try to answer questions with enough detail that beginning users can benefit--but I slip sometimes.

This forum is for everyone. Anyone can help anyone else and believe me, the \"masters\" have learned things from new users many times.

Some time ago I wrote a guide for how to get the most out of the forums but never posted it, so here it is now.

Look it over and post comments about it so that it can be improved and beneficial to new or casual forum users. It is not \"law\", just suggestions for posting questions AND answers that are meaningful to all users.

Input from users like you are what improves not only the software but the community as well. It is sort of like a patient that goes to the doctor and doesn't tell the doctor what hurts. If we don't know what hurts we can't make it better.

If you see an answer that you don't fully understand, post a reply asking for clarification. If you see a question that you can answer, post an answer. Like I said, this forum is for EVERYONE and EVERYONE can help!!!

The \"forum users guide\" is a first draft and needs input from others like you to make it better, so be sure to let me know what changes it needs to be better.
Attachments
How to Get the Most Out of the Forum.pdf
(107.82 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

2 1/2 Years and still learning daily. This forum is the life blood of E-cabs.
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

Hi Jose!

Sometimes, when folks say \"Check the Archives\", they may be faintly recalling reading \"something like\" the answer you are looking for, but don't have the time to research it, and might be afraid to offer contradictory information - that being said, if you don't get the answer you are looking for, ask again! Sooner or later, someone will post the correct answer.

As stated above, this forum is what makes ecabinets really go for us small shop guys. Don't be so quick to put yourself in the dummy slot - I've read your posts on the CMA forum and you are no dummy. Learning software for the first time can be intimidating, especially with something as feature rich as ecabinets. But this forum is a place where you should feel comfortable putting your fears aside and asking the most basic of questions. If you are still very uncomfortable, then PM (Private message) someone you trust and perhaps they will respond.

We all started out with that \"New Member\" tag - I don't ever recall seeing a \"Dummy\" tag - and we all asked basic questions to get where we are today. So keep 'em coming!
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Nicely stated Mitch, don't be to nervous to ask Jose.
There are scores of us only to glad to help.
Dave Norton