Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Barelmann

Computer Performance

Post by Mark Barelmann »

I am running eCabinets on the following computer:

Pentium 2.8 GHz
Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128MB
512 ram

The performance is really slow. Seems no faster than my 5 year old computer. What would help speed things up? Is the graphics card OK? More ram? It seems OK in the cabinet design, but really bogs down in room layouts.

Thanks, Mark
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Ram for sure. need to have 1GB to 2 GB. this would give you the most bang for the buck. i would get dual channel ram if you Motherboard supports it. Dual Channel RAM comes in pairs so a 1GB upgrade is (2 X 512mb) and 2GB upgrade is (2 X 1GB).

then if your still not happy, go for a video card upgrade.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

One other area to check is your virtual memory setting. I have a document in the Tip & Tricks area of the eCabWorld Member's Lounge that details how to set virtual memory for best performance.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Hey Dan, I went to eCab World to the lounge area and the amount of registration info they want is ridiculous, and I won't give that much info out. Any way you could post the virtual memory tip here?

Leo
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

The registration information is not at all unusual for any website. There are very few REQUIRED pieces of information.

I don't understand why you are unwilling to register on my website.

Sorry.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Did it, looked a t the information and changed the virtual settings on my machine. Still only have one hard drive, so I don't know how much this will accomplish. I have just started to put hardware on my cabinet (knobs and pulls) and when I render the final picture it really dogs down on the hardware. I am running a P4 2.8GHz with 512 MB RAM. I know increasing the RAM should help some but how about the video card. I am still running with the onboard video. How much performance/speed will I realize by switching to a separate video card. Is it night and day or just a good boost using a low to medium priced card, no $500 card suggestions please . Thanks for the info Dan.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I noticed clear gains overall on my unit with Dan's 2nd hard drive idea. And rams cheap. :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Leo Graywacz wrote:Did it, looked a t the information and changed the virtual settings on my machine. Still only have one hard drive, so I don't know how much this will accomplish. I have just started to put hardware on my cabinet (knobs and pulls) and when I render the final picture it really dogs down on the hardware. I am running a P4 2.8GHz with 512 MB RAM. I know increasing the RAM should help some but how about the video card. I am still running with the onboard video. How much performance/speed will I realize by switching to a separate video card. Is it night and day or just a good boost using a low to medium priced card, no $500 card suggestions please . Thanks for the info Dan.
Knobs and pulls indeed slow down performance as do certain moldings (rope for one).

The onboard video is also a big issue with performance. Onboard video has nor RAM of its own so it must steal RAM from the operating system.

I'm not sure of your computer's architecture, but if you have a PCI Express slot then find the best PCIe card you can afford. Make sure it is an OpenGL card like the nVidia Quadro series. nVidia has a large range of vidoe cards from entry level like the nVidia Quadro FX 540 up to the very expensive nVidia Quadro FX 5500.

Just be sure you choose a workstation-class card and not a gaming card. My Dell workstation has the nVidia Quadro FX 540 with 128MB RAM and I get great performance from it.

As Rick suggested, definitely add more RAM to your system. I have 2GB and can bog it down with a single cabinet if I have lots of panel doors, moldings, dovetail drawer boxes, knobs, etc. The minimum I would suggest is 2GB.
Philip Shantz
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Philip Shantz »

...Just be sure you choose a workstation-class card and not a gaming card. My Dell workstation has the nVidia Quadro FX 540 with 128MB RAM and I get great performance from it.
Dan
I kind of always thought the video card wars were being primarily driven by the gamers and that a top-notch gaming video card (not that I can afford one :? ) would shine in eCabinets...and you imply that is not the case -- how come?

What exactly is the difference between \"work station class\" and \"gaming\" cards?
Philip
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Good question Phillip.

Workstation-class video cards are geared toward CAD programs and are optimized for best OpenGL performance.

Gaming video cards on the other hand are optimized for best DirectX/Direct3D performance.

The biggest difference between the two, in lay terms, is that OpenGL provides HIGH PRECISION STATIC graphics and DirectX provides HIGH RESOLUTION MOTION graphics.

This is not to say that a gaming card won't provide good performance in CAD or other workstation programs, merely that it does not provide OPTIMUM performance for them.

Likewise, workstation video cards can provide good, but not optimum performance for gaming.

It's the old \"when at work; work, when at play; play\" approach :wink:
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Rick (and Leo),

I upgraded from 512 ran to 2 x 1G dual channel last night and the perfromance improved significantly. Leo, I posted the original question, and I have a 2.8 processor just like you. For now I'm happy - I'll put a better video card on the wish list for later.

Thanks, Mark
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Dan, if you're still following this thread -

I followed your tips and trick and adjusted my virtual memory. I have only one physical HD in my computer, but have a second external drive thru a USB port that I use for back-up. Does this drive have any value for virtual memory?
Thanks, Mark
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Never, ever use external drives for virutal memory!!!

Consider this scenario: You have virtual memory configured on an external USB drive. You are in the middle of a large design and haven't saved the job. You decide you need to copy some files from another computer that you have on a USB thumb drive. Without thinking you unplug the external hard drive to plug in the thumb drive and...CRASH!!! Everything you have done is lost and the system shuts down.
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Thanks Dan - I won't do it! (More likely scenario is my 11 year old daughter descides to unplug the USB hard drive to download a song to her MP3, but same result) The addl RAM and virtual memory setting has helped a lot already so I'll leave it alone.

Mark