organizing directories

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jonathan Lester

organizing directories

Post by Jonathan Lester »

Hello All,
I have spent the last few day making my seed cabinets and started a few small jobs. On thing I have noticed is that y cabinet directory page is getting longer and longer. Is it possible to have sub-directories within eachother. For example right now I have Upper, bases, 'L' corner bases, cross corner upper, tall cabinets, drawer bases and vanity bases & uppers. Hopefully I hvent over complicated the question. Any help would be great. thanks again.
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

Jonathan

As of right now there is not a way to have Sub-Directories within other directories. Any other questions feel free to call me at 1-800-533-6901 ext. 227. You can also email me at cabinets@thermwood.com
Jonathan Lester

OK thanks maybe in future versions.
Philip Shantz
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Philip Shantz »

You might also keep in mind that you cannot have sub-directories in the materials folder either. I found that out years ago when I put the \"Brewster\" images in a subfolder (I was TIRED of scrolling through them every time -- I almost never used them...)

After MAJOR crash, much back and forth with Jason, and a necessary clean re-install, I learned not to try THAT again :wink:

As far as the cabinet directories go, after a while you learn eCabinets quirks and keeping it all \"simple\" does become easier -- like short cabinet names so the nests aren't typed-over gibberish...
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Johnathan,

I have found that using a B for base and W for wall and T for the tall units before the name will help to limit the files location within the directory. For example all the Base cabinets will be first and the wall cabinets will be last.

We use a \"high hat\" design and I put an H at the end of the file name to differentiate between the types of cabinets.

Hope that helps.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Jonathan Lester

thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Jonathan

It's difficult to tell from your post whether you are saving all of your seed cabinets in the same directory.

If you are, you can trim it down by using separate directories for cabinets of the same type. Bases in one directory, uppers in another, libraries in yet another, etc.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Michael...

I obviously understand the \"B\" \"W\" & \"T\" letters used at the beginning of a cabinet name, but I don't follow the \"H' or high hat...

can you explain further?

Mark
Jonathan Lester

Dan
Currently I have saved my boxes in sperate directories: uppers, bases, vanities, desk..... What I was wondering is if, for example I am working on a job can I save numerous room boxes in a number of directories under the same job. For example Job name: Bob: but under Bob I would like to save bathroom, kitchen, desk, library. Right now I save it all under just Bob and end up searching for boxes. This may make me sound lazy but there may be excess of 50-60 different boxes per job. The only way around this I have found so far is saving each area in a different directory: Bob library, Bob kitchen... Anyways thanks for the ideas
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If create a room layout or batch for each part of a job--kitchen, bath, etc, you won't have to search for the cabinets. Just open the job and they will be in the room. From there you can edit them in the cabinet editor if needed.

You can create nested directories for jobs, just not cabinets or assemblies. For example, you can have eCabinets\\Jobs\\Bob\\Kitchen.esj, eCabinets\\Jobs\\Bob\\Bath.esj, eCabinets\\Jobs\\Bob\\Library.esj, etc. Each of the job files will have links to all of the cabinets and assemblies for that portion of the job.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Each to their own Mark, and every cabinet maker will tell you the same thing. It just happens to be what we call ours.

The H or high hat is refering to the multi height cabinetry. Our tall base cabinets are 95\" tall and a high hat corner or microwave box will install at the same height. However, the cabinets in between will be a shorter size, installing at 91 inches. The H cabinets are usually 3\" deeper than the others.

Hope this helps.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Jonathan,

I prefer to save jobs in the format described by Kerry. It may differ in that The kitchen and anything that is of the same finish in the file under the customer name called Kitchen; Then I create another room just for baths and laundry. Especially if there is a different door for the cabinetry. Those I will also seperate.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650