Multi core processor support? maybe?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Matt Elias

Multi core processor support? maybe?

Post by Matt Elias »

I'm looking at a new system primarily to run eCabinets. My concern is that the system recommended by Thermwood is a single core in an age when dual core systems are opening up a lot of possibilities. I would hate to buy a single core running 3 GHz (~3.6GHz maxed out) and in a few months have the software support dual core systems (even if it's only 1.86, x2 = 3.7 GHz, with possibilities of running 3GHz x2). Unless eCabinets won't be multi core proficient for a few years, it seems the recommended system is already limited and outdated. I would appreciate hearing from Thermwood if they plan to take advantage of the dual core system soon or if that requires too much investment on their part. The system I currently am considering has a FX3500 with 256MB RAM, 2GB system RAM (ready for another 2GB). The way I see it, this system has room for a video expansion and system RAM expansion but the CPU is already limited.

Thanks for your time.
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Matt,
This topic has already be covered in the past.
The answer has been that ecab won't take advantage of dual core anytime soon, but it doesn't stop you from buying dual core since ecab will run on it anyway.
I personnally run ecab on a dual core computer in my office and it seems to be faster than a Pentium 4 that I also use.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Matt Elias

Post by Matt Elias »

Thanks for the reply, I have read the other posts and I understand it takes a lot of work and time to re-write the program, but I do feel it would be good to hear if there is any goal or plans for it.