Presentation Quality...How do you guys get such great images

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Van Meter

Presentation Quality...How do you guys get such great images

Post by Michael Van Meter »

Hey all you gurus in here...
I have marvled at the qualith that most of you guys get in your presentation images and have thire to tweak some of the basic setteings in the room layout area for my simple projects. But I am baffled about how to get the detail and finesse that I see in others work...
Are any of you willing to share the secrets with a hack like myself?

Here is a office layout that I am working on as an example... Maple facefranes and sheet stock... kinda washed out aint it...!

Thanks in advance for all you all do...
Michael
Attachments
Office Rough Layout 1.jpg
Office Rough Layout 1.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 9027 times
Micheal
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I've wondered the same thing. I just figured these guys had a rock'n video card. I'm only running the onboard card and only get mediocre images also. If it is some tweak in the software fess up guys, 8) otherwise I'll just slowly build up my computer support system.
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

there is a lot to be said for just sitting down for an hour or so in front of the system and working on one piece, like presentations.

Here's a couple things to spend some time experimenting with. First of all, lighting. A lot of guys just drop various light fixtures into a scene and call it good. But to really get the great lighting and shadow effects that the software provides, you have to play with that a bit.

You can associate a light to a wall, then change to elevation view and lower the light into the middle of the room. this will have the effect of changing the direction the light comes from in the room and create shadow effects. You can also vary the intensity of the lights individually so that more or less light comes from various sources.

Just doing that much can dramatically improve the look of your presentations.
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Michael,
Here is a link to an old thread that discusses this.
Photo-Realistic Drawings
Kerry
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Michael,

Looking at the picture I think you are right: you need a better video card or you simply forgot to push the 'presentation view' button. :oops:
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Michael Van Meter

Post by Michael Van Meter »

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies...
I see tha there is more that I have to learn and find in this software and I am always up for a challange... Next I gotta get into the lighting biz I see... I have a pretty good video card and a fast computer so in a couple of weeks I should be right in there with some SWEET images...
I will see if I can come up with somthing worthy of posting...
Micheal
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

All CGI-based movies out of Hollywood have professional CGI lighting professionals on staff. Their job is solely to make each frame of the movie look good from a lighting perspective.

Quite obviously, getting the right lighting is an undertaking.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

Post by greg youngken »

I didn't like my first couple of tries, then they started getting better. I saw one Kerry was working on with the wood ceiling and just started experimenting w/the presentation. I can see real potential here. Thanks for all the posts.
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com
greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

Post by greg youngken »

I didn't like my first couple of tries, then they started getting better. I saw one Kerry was working on with the wood ceiling and just started experimenting w/the presentation. I can see real potential here. Thanks for all the posts.
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Kerry, I went back and read the thread you posted and quite frankly never noticed that you could make all these adjustments on a per item basis. But I'm having trouble getting it to work. Do you click the item in presentation mode & then make the adjustment? Or vice versa?

Thanks again!
-Jeff