Door/Drawer Gaps

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeff Whippo

Door/Drawer Gaps

Post by Jeff Whippo »

Does anybody know of a way to adjust door/drawer gaps on cabinets that already have doors/drawers (without going through the entire delete door/add door routine)? For example, my library of frameless cabinets has doors on them and the doors (for a typical 30\" w double door base) fully overlay the cabinet edge on both left/right sides. That works good for the cabinet by itself, but if I place that cabinet in a custom layout right next to the same cabinet, I need to provide a gap where two hingeside doors meet. Any ideas? Thanks

Jeff
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

Jeff,

What brand and series of hinges are you using? I use Grass 3803 hinges. With a 19mm (3/4\") gable, these hinges require a 2.1mm reveal. That makes a 4.2mm gap when butting two cabinets together, eliminating your problem. Even though they are called full overlay hinges, I think most will require some sort of reveal.

Hope this helps you out.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Jeff,

Take the cabinet into the door/drawer editor and highlight the doors you would like to change. Open the construction settings at the top and change the settings you want to change. Once you hit ok at the bottom, it should rebuild these doors with the new settings. :wink:
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

jeff,
what dave says above, full o.l. is really not full o.l. You dont want to be designing your cabinets so that you have to go back and figure out what doors will be hitting and such in each different scenario, to many chances for mistakes.Check your manufacters specs for specifics.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Jeff,

Unless you are using 1/2\" material the cabinets should have a gap big enough for the doors to open. This is said for the use of 23/32 material (3/4) which I use almost exclusively. I have my doors set to 1/8\" hinge and opening side reveal, and 1/8\" double door opening gap.

I have had very few problems with this setting and it may or may not work for you.

You may want to note the other settings for the top/bottom reveals from the picture. This setting gives me a 6 3/4\" drawer and a 24\" door. My cabinet height is 34 3/4\" and the drawer opening is 6\"

Hope this helps.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650