what am i doing wrong???

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

what am i doing wrong???

Post by Mark Hesketh »

been trying to reverse-engineer a speaker box that a potential customer dropped off... been working on it all day and am ready to throw my computer at the wall! :cry:

the bottom of the box (or the back) has a series of counter-bored holes in it, of several different sizes. i can get these all in place in the part editor just fine. however, once i exit the part editor and enter the constraints manager, some of the holes, or the counterbores, will have either moved or have dissappeared completely. once i add constraints, exit CM and then return to CM, some of those constraints will have dissappeared and the holes will have moved again.

i have tried this in both metric and imperial now, with the same results.

anyone got any ideas?
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

just a little update...

the holes that i have finally goten to work are screwing up now whenever the size of the part changes. the counterbores are moving with the constraints when the part size changes, but the through-holes don't. then, when i try to go into CM again to fix this, i get an \"error creating rout bodies\" message and it won't let me into the CM.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Mark,
This doesn't sound like a fun job. Email the cabinet to me at program@thermwood.com with a small drawing of what you are trying to accomplish and I'll see if I can figure out the problem and a way to resolve it.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

So, you are basically making a \"hole-within-a-hole\", correct? I don't know whether this will work or not, but try creating and constraining all of the smaller holes before creating and constraining the larger holes.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

sorry it took so long to get back to this, but my computer committed suicide and took ALL of my files with it... I lost everything... and have spent the last 4 days trying to replace it all. And i have had to start this speaker box from scratch again.

it is a hole within a hole Dan, and that seems to be where the problems arise. i went and made all the smaller through holes and constrained them, and they respond to size changes just as they should. however, as soon as i add the second hole (the counterbore) and constrain it to the same location as another hole, everything goes to hell in a handbasket, as the saying goes.

once that second hole is added and constrained, either it or the first hole will loose it's connection to the constraining dimension and will move during a size change. and if you go back and re-attach a constraint, it immediately looses it again when you change sizes. and it's not consistent with which of the 2 holes looses the constraint. sometimes it is the through-hole, sometimes the counterbore.

if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. i have to run a batch of 80 of these things within the week.

Daniel, sorry about not being able to get back to you with the file, but as i said, i lost everything.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Are you constraining the larger hole to the smaller hole or to the edge of a part? Again, I haven't tried this but constraining it to the smaller hole might work.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

i tried both constraining the larger hole to the smaller whole, which is in turn constrained to the edges of the part, and constraining both holes to the edges of the part. i get the same results either way.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Did yiou try constraining the smaller hole to the larger, then constraining the larget to the part?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Mark

Try the constraints like the attached picture. In this instance the holes are located at 6,6. The through hole is 1\" and the countersink is 3\" in diameter.

The outer edges of each hole is constrained to the edge of the part as indicated.
Attachments
Countersink Constraint.jpg
Countersink Constraint.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 7625 times
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Dan, you genious! 8)

i hadn't even thought to try constraining the quadrants of the circles, i was always using the centerpoints. i erased all the centerpoint dimensions and replaced them with quadrant dimensions and now it all works just fine! thanks a bunch

Now it's up to the Thermwood guys to figure out why the centerpoint constraints would do this :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I think the problem there is that you have two center points but you can only select one and constrain it. If you could select both it would work.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

actually, i even tried putting the holes offset enough so that i could select their individual center points and constrain each seperately. however it appears that once they occupied the same location that's where they started to screw up.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Hmmm...strange.