Constraint Manager

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Constraint Manager

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I have a cabinet that I want to apply constraints to the top rail. What I have is a cabinet with three arches. I want the 3 arches to always be equal to each other. On the left and right there should be a flat area 1/2\" long before the arch starts, then in the middle (2 middles actually) I want the flat to be 3\" so I can place a vertical style there and have 1/2\" on either side of the style where it meets the top rail. Is there a way I can input a formula onto the arched areas which will make them always be equal? I think the formula I want is going to be (w-7)/3 [width of the top rail minus (1/2 + 1/2 + 3 + 3) and divide this by 3 arches] but when I enter it in it doesn't accept the /3 and changes it to 0\"

Thanks.

Leo
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You're overkilling it Leo :wink:

The constraints should be from each end to the center of the center arc using W/2, and each of the 3\" flats.
Attachments
Constraint.jpg
Constraint.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 9266 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Never mind that Leo, further testing shows it doesn't work just right :oops:

I'll see if I can come up with a set of constraints that will work for you.
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

Leo
Can you send me the file you are working on so I can take a look at it and see if I can get you set with what you need?
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

Send it to my email cabinets@thermwood.com and feel free to give me a call with any other questions at 1-800-533-6901 ext. 227
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Leo Graywacz »

DanEpps wrote:Never mind that Leo, further testing shows it doesn't work just right :oops:

I'll see if I can come up with a set of constraints that will work for you.
Been there, did that. I've spent quite a bit of time on this playing with formulas. The one that should work won't input properly. (w-7)/3

Thanks anyway.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Leo

Right you are. In fact, try to use just the inside nodes on each end (1/2\") constrained to the center. Change the formula to w-1 and it changes the display to something real funky.

Justin

Something is not right with formula input.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Justin D Melhiser wrote:Send it to my email cabinets@thermwood.com and feel free to give me a call with any other questions at 1-800-533-6901 ext. 227
E-mail sent to you Justin, Thanks.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Here is what I'm talking about with the funky change. The constraint is w-1. Notice that the top arc disappeared and the constraint is at the bottom???
Attachments
Constraint.jpg
Constraint.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Leo Graywacz »

DanEpps wrote:Here is what I'm talking about with the funky change. The constraint is w-1. Notice that the top arc disappeared and the constraint is at the bottom???
Wow, to think I might be able to teach a guru something. Dan, you need to trap the arcs within the constraint editor. You have to give them real numbers by the simple constraint method. Just click the 2 nodes so it gives it a measurement. This way when you are inputting formulas it can't get away from you. So what I have been doing is just going down the line and constraining the whole part. You know first the 1/2" flat then the arc then the 3" flat then the arc, then the 3" flat then the arc and finally the last 1/2" flat. I have been using this method to force the arcs into submission and I can also manipulate them to be equal in this way. If you leave one of the arcs unconstrained then figure out the math outside of the software, then you can edit the arc length of the two arcs and it will force the 3rd arc to be the leftover, hopefully if you did your math correct they will be equal. The last thing you need to do is constrain the radius of all of them to be equal and you will be able to have 3 equally radiused equal sized arcs. There is no need to do this with absolute numbers when you are placing your arcs. Just make sure the 1/2" at the beginning and end is there and the spaces between the arcs are 3" (in my case). But you could also edit the constraint the of the flats 1st and the only thing you have to worry about is getting the arcs to fall on the y-axis at 0. I found this intriguing. And was hoping to get the formulas to work and I wouldn't really have to do anything but cut out the arcs and apply my constraints and everything els would just fall into place by its own without the need to do any math. That would be cool.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That was just to show the crazy results I was getting. I did exactly what you said in another attempt and still ended up with something like that picture. It seems that the problem appears when you enter a minus sign in the formula.
Wow, to think I might be able to teach a guru something.
For the record, I HATE the constraint manager :wink:
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

When you are using the terms W(idth) & H(eight) in the constraint manager are they variable terms with the data coming from the cabinet width and height input areas in the cabinet editor or are they a constant being derived when you make the formula in the constraint manager?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

They are variables.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

They sure aren't acting like it. :lol:
DanEpps
Wizard Member