I was wondering...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

I was wondering...

Post by Leo Graywacz »

If the Constraint Manager was to be use in this fashion. Lately I have been designing the top rails of my cabinets with designs to make them more appealing. Usually for open shelving and not cabinets with doors. But when I am designing them in the parts editor, in the beginning when I was new to eCabs I would design them using absolute geometry and it was a pain to get things perfect and I found myself dong the same thing over and over until it got placed correctly and looked right. Now I just do a basic look-a-like with the parts editor and then bring it into the Constraint Manager and define all of my terms, you know, radius's, distances between shoulders, width of straight areas etc. I was wondering if this is the norm or not. Because if it isn't it should be. It has made things so much easier for me. I don't have to think in absolute terms and can just type in the radius or dimension and it will transform the part. You still have to be careful of the interactions that you can get and sometimes you need to lock down a part so that one dimension input doesn't affect another one before you finish modifying the part. After you finish you can remove un-needed constraints and save you part. I find it satisfying that I can design within the software almost like I do on a stick by stick CAD program. Just wondering.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Leo,
I think this is what the creators of eCabinets had in mind with the constraint manager and part editor. It is to give you some of the functions of standard CAD Programs. I only see this getting better. As more people start to use this part of the software and stretch its abilities, the programmers will meet the demand for new and improved functions.
Kerry