So many \"VIEWS\", so little help

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

George L Vought

So many \"VIEWS\", so little help

Post by George L Vought »

I thought this was supposed to be a help each other out forum. So far I only see a couple of guys actually taking the time to answer questions. They are Dan Epps and and Kerry Fullerton, hats off to you two!!!
I see questions or problems posted with 30 or more \"views\" listed but either 1 or 0 answered. I just don't get it. :fire:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Everybody answers when they can George. Just look through the forum and you will see tons of answers from members other than Kerry or me.
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Like Dan said, everybody answers when they can which means when they have time or when they can give you the best answer. Personally I answer when I am sure of what I am saying will work and not confuse anybody. And still I am not always accurate. Also some peoples understand the questions better then others.
I would suggest that if you have a question make sure it's clear for everybody. Add on pictures or examples of what you are doing. Maybe more members will willing to answer.
And also be patient. Everybody does it on his free time and personally lately free time for me has been very scarce. And I probably wouldn't be the best help anyway.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: So many \"VIEWS\", so little help

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

George L Vought wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a help each other out forum. So far I only see a couple of guys actually taking the time to answer questions. They are Dan Epps and and Kerry Fullerton, hats off to you two!!!
I see questions or problems posted with 30 or more "views" listed but either 1 or 0 answered. I just don't get it. :fire:
George -- A lot of people come here to learn what to do and what not to do. I read the forum every day and if I know the answer I will post but if I don't then I watch the thread to find out the answer. I'm sure that there are a lot more people on here like me and not Kerry & Dan who are most helpful to everyone.
George L Vought

Sorry :oops: It's just a REALLY frustrating program to learn, and there is so much of it to learn. The help manual sort of walks you around in a circle, sometimes it's clear and other times it assumes you know what it's talking about.
I apologize for being impatient, I'm between jobs right now and am trying to learn this program so that I will be able to use it on our next job. I have tried the search route. I haven't come away with much help. I belong to a couple of other woodworking forums that use the same sort of search system so it's not a matter of me not knowing how to use the search part. A good example is how to delete a job you don't want to keep anymore. I typed in \"deleting job files\". I can't remember if it told me there wasn't anything to match or it took me to a page that had nothing to do with what I asked. Most frustrating.
I have a feeling Wally hit it right on the head, a LOT of us are reading different threads just looking for answers.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

George L Vought wrote:I have a feeling Wally hit it right on the head, a LOT of us are reading different threads just looking for answers.
That is the purpose of the forum...to find answers. The key is to search for your particular question first to see if it has already been answered. If it hasn't, then post the question and someone will answer, usually pretty quickly.

Learning to search can be a little daunting. If you want to search for posts containing multiple words such as deleting jobs, you have to use the all uppercase word AND between the words like this: deleting AND jobs. That will return a list of posts that contain both words, but still not necessarily what you are looking for. Adjust the search and try again with something like "delete AND job AND file" or "delete AND file".

Don't spin your wheels all day trying to perfect a search though, if you can't find the answer easily, post you question.

As for learning the program, it is highly recommended that you attend either a five day class at Thermwood or a three day seminar elsewhere. You can find a schedule of training classes in the Member Store.

Other than that, I am developing an interactive training guide for eCabinets. It is still a few weeks from being completed but will offer an alternating method of learning eCabinets.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re: So many \"VIEWS\", so little help

Post by Mike Bowers »

Wally Schneeberger wrote:
George L Vought wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a help each other out forum. So far I only see a couple of guys actually taking the time to answer questions. They are Dan Epps and and Kerry Fullerton, hats off to you two!!!
I see questions or problems posted with 30 or more "views" listed but either 1 or 0 answered. I just don't get it. :fire:
George -- A lot of people come here to learn what to do and what not to do. I read the forum every day and if I know the answer I will post but if I don't then I watch the thread to find out the answer. I'm sure that there are a lot more people on here like me and not Kerry & Dan who are most helpful to everyone.
George & Wally
Maybe some times when a thread is viewed, the individual doesn't have time to type out a solution. I haven't had a lot of time here lately on the forum do to work & my latest time consuming endeavor. I see a lot of new members posting & Dan is 100% right about searching the forum first. The question more than likely has been asked before.
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Todd Miller

Re:

Post by Todd Miller »

George L Vought wrote:Sorry :oops: I haven't come away with much help. I belong to a couple of other woodworking forums that use the same sort of search system so it's not a matter of me not knowing how to use the search part. A good example is how to delete a job you don't want to keep anymore. I typed in "deleting job files". I can't remember if it told me there wasn't anything to match or it took me to a page that had nothing to do with what I asked. Most frustrating.
I have a feeling Wally hit it right on the head, a LOT of us are reading different threads just looking for answers.
George,
To delete a Job File or .esj file, first you will need to find out where the .esj file resides on your hard drive. If you goto the custom layout editor, then select the "file" pull down in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, then select "save job as". This should promt you to the place (folder) where the last job was saved.

From here you should be able to do a right-click and delete.

My advice to you would be to create a "JOB" folder on your desktop. Then save all of your jobs there. This should eliminate any sort of confusion on the location of a specific JOB (.esj) file.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

That's funny. I thought that the responses on this forum came fairly quickly.

Is there still a Learning Guide available (as for Version 4) or has this been replaced by the eCabs Made Easy and the Manual? Personally, I liked the training DVD that came with an earlier version of the software, but I would imagine that was a bit expensive to produce.

Joe
George L Vought

Todd
Thanks, didn't think of saving it there. I've done a few designs for a potential customer, some didn't fly, so I didn't need those files. I found the files in the eCab folder in \"programs\", but was afraid to delete them from there for fear I'd screw up something contained in that file. I thought maybe that was why I was having a problem trying to get my appliances to load. Whatever caused that seems to have corrected itself because it works just fine now.
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate those of you who have taken the time to answer stuff. Guess I got the wrong impression when I see that something has been looked at 100 times but only saw 5 responses.
Mike
I fully understand. I know I cruise a few of the woodworking forums I belong to, but don't always have time to respond. Since trying to learn this program I haven't even had time to check in at any of them. :roll:
I apologize once again to ALL for blowing off steam (i.e. frustration). :oops:
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

George,
like many of the others I answer what I can, but most of the time I find that the correct answer is already there. If the first answer that you receive is the correct solution, do you expect everyone who views the post to answer it again?
George L Vought

Geo
That post came out of the frustration of spending over 1/2 a day trying to find the answer about removing a job file. I did a search and it came back with a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with my search. I didn't know that you had to enter the words AND, and OR in between each word. I have since apologized, at least 3 times. I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers, for that I'm sorry.
I'm used to a forum that reguardless how many times the same question is asked, \"newbies\" get the consideration of getting it answered again. It is the belief that those of us who \"have the knowledge\" have the obligation to pass it along. It's why we have forums. It's to share. Yes it takes a few moments to type out an answer, and I realize how busy most here are. I appreciate all of the help I've been given.
Let me put it this way and maybe it will sound less offensive. I remember the names of those who have taken the time to offer help. I unfortunatle have not had the priveledge to even meet those who just read it and moved on.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I only know of a few posts that went unanswered. For the record Dan, Kerry, Mike, and a few others to include myself use to battle to make the first response as though it was the best thing since sliced bread and canned beer. In fact so many times we've enjoyed coffee and late night snack, right here in this very forum.

I love this forum, it is here for everyone and those who do know do share.

Everyone needs to know; that none of us are on payroll to sit here and answer questions. Although some have been asked many more times than once. I have a belief: and that is...

The only dumb question is the one not asked. In order to know something you have to learn, and one of those ways to learn is ask questions.

I've blown my top a time or two here and have on occasions given incorrect responses. But that gets corrected by others and only furthers the greatness of this forum.

Just my 2 cents

And no need to appologize in my opinnion. We all are here for whoever needs us.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

Post by greg youngken »

Hi my name is Greg and I'm an... sorry wrong forum :? I'm pretty new at this and I read allot on this forum. I studied for a month before deciding I was going to attempt this program. Unfortunately at present my suggestions would only clutter up the page and the mind, but in time I know that I will have some useful input. I think the read to answer ratio is so unbalanced because of me. :( Well any way it's been a nice visit.
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com