Best way to email files

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Best way to email files

Post by Rob Davis »

What is the best way to email files? We are trying to transfer an hsf file and it won't go. Doe sit have to be saved as a job before emailing? If not, how do I get it to open? I copy and paste to eCabs cabinet directory and it is not there when I open the load cabinet area. Is there a problem if versions are not the same? What is the trick on this? I have emailed lots of times before and not had a problem. Dumb luck?
Any help? Thanks in advance.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

The best way to e_mail files is to zip them first. You will need something like winzip to accomplish this.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

I agree with zipping the file first, then e-mailing it. WinXP has a zip utility with it (under the right-click menu). It just makes it easier to extract everything to the correct folder. I've seen some online e-mail accounts (yahoo, etc) which auto-open the jpg's...making saving them slightly a pain.
*** Make sure you are saving to the correct folder. That's the only reason I can think of why it isn't showing up.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Best way to email files

Post by DanEpps »

Rob Davis wrote:What is the best way to email files? We are trying to transfer an hsf file and it won't go. Doe sit have to be saved as a job before emailing? If not, how do I get it to open? I copy and paste to eCabs cabinet directory and it is not there when I open the load cabinet area. Is there a problem if versions are not the same? What is the trick on this? I have emailed lots of times before and not had a problem. Dumb luck?
Are you saving the files in the cabinets directory or a sub-directory underneath cabinets? Make sure it is in a sub-directory and not the Standard Cabinets sub-directory.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

What I think his problem might be is that the file is to large to send by way of email. Most ISP's set limits on how large of a file they allow you to send. I have a subscription to a service called X-Drive which is on online storage/sharing area set up to be an Internet hard drive. You can upload files up to 5-50 GB and then send them to somebody to download. If you have and are paying for AOL you have the service for free. That's how I have mine.

I believe this is the link:

https://plus.xdrive.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

All, thanks for the help. I think it is zipping file that is the key. With new email and spam and virus protections, these files probabaly exceed the limits and get filtered or corrupted in transit. We've done this many times in the past without a problem. I also believe it relates to the sender's email provider and connection speed, etc.

Dan, yes we have set up sub-directory for each customer and also some misc ones for oddball stuff.
Pete Riddle

emailing files

Post by Pete Riddle »

What is the best way to email files? We are trying to transfer an hsf file and it won't go. Does it have to be saved as a job before emailing? If not, how do I get it to open? I copy and paste to eCabs cabinet directory and it is not there when I open the load cabinet area. Is there a problem if versions are not the same? What is the trick on this? I have emailed lots of times before and not had a problem. Dumb luck?
Sorry for sounding so simple on this subject but I get this all the time. While all of the suggestions above are correct something struck me in the intial phrasing of the question and I just wanted to clarify something, if not for a few here then for those who read this string

When emailing a cabinet make sure you include not only the hsf but also the jpg in your zip file.

No offense to incfediple wizard and guru members out there. :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Pete

You don't really need the JPG with the HSF...it will be created automatically when the cabinet file is saved.
Pete Riddle

Post by Pete Riddle »

Dan,

I have stumbled across a few instances, almost always with a corrupt design, where the hsf alone would not regenerate the jpg. I've gotten into the habit of requesting both when I have to look for a problem with a design.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

Pete Riddle wrote:Dan,

I have stumbled across a few instances, almost always with a corrupt design, where the hsf alone would not regenerate the jpg. I've gotten into the habit of requesting both when I have to look for a problem with a design.
Is there anyway to change this so said thumbnail is embedded to make file sharing more error proof? Or would that involve actually generating the cabinet within the file selection window within eCabs as opposed to linking a .jpg file?

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.