Need Restore Help

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

Need Restore Help

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hello,

I got a bad feeling that I am not going to be able to access a fairly large job file I recently worked on :cry: I tried to open a previous kitchen job I created and eventhough the top of my screen indicated that the file was open, my screen was blank with no drawings, no \"wall editor\", \"detail room\" or \"custom layout preferences\" menu buttons, nothing. Somehow in an effort to get the job to come up on my screen I think I ended up \"saving\" my \"blank\" screen to get out of the program. Now when I look at the job file size it's very small (blank room size?). I have been good about doing my back up procedure each day through eCab. This morning I copied all the important files (assemblies,cabs,jobs...) onto a disk thinking I could always have the option to \"Restore to a previous non-bug day\" but when I chose to Restore there were no such options. Doesn't a \"that job already exists, do you want to replace it?\" message come up whenever you try to save something that is already there? I never received that message when my blank screen asked me whether I wanted to save the current job, otherwise I would have chose not to save my blank screen. Any suggestions on how I may access my old (good) .esj job file? All the jpgs are there in the job file, just not the right .esj file.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you have a backup of the job file you can just copy it from the backup directory to the \"live\" directory.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hi Dan,

So when I choose the \"backup function\" through eCab file menu, this backup goes somewhere that I can access it again. The \"flushing\" message does not mean that my previous backups are gone? what file folders am I looking for to access what you have mentioned? Thanks
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

My screen at the top still indicates the job file is open but besides the toolbar at the top the screen is totally blank. There is no menu/task bar on the left for wall editing, custom pref., detail.... What's up with that?
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Tony there is a file in eCab \"Back up\", that is what Dan referred to.
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hi Mike,

I have looked in the eCabinetSystems folder and I have no \"Back up\" folder. This would be listed alphabetically, and it's not there. What other folders would it be in. Also what does \"flush mean\" and can I access particular past day back ups? Thanks
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Click \"my Computer\", then \"program files\" ,Then \"Thermwood folder\" then click \"ecabinets\" The file are alpha & you should see the \"backup\"file.
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

ain't there, I swear!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tony,
Open eCabinets then click on File and choose Backup/Restore Settings and at the top of the pop up window it will show you where your backup files are saved.
Flushed does mean that you are overwriting the existing files. Your backup will only contain the files from your latest backup.
If you have selected to backup your Jobs folder then you will have a copy of your jobs from the last time you backed up eCabinets in this folder.
Kerry
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hi Kerry,

thanks for the input. OK I have found that directory. Problem is, eventhough I have \"jobs\" checked off for items to be included when doing a back up, the \"jobs\" folder is not listed. Also when I do enter into my problem job through custom layout, why is the screen blank with no task menu on the left? When I choose other jobs, no problem, room comes up and task bar is present. In backup/restore settings if you choose not to flush, would this give me the ability to select particular previous date backups when I know I didn't have any bugs?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tony,
Also in the Backup/Restore Settings you will have to choose the Parent Directory where you save your jobs. This is then the folder that gets backed up. The same goes for your Tools Directory and your Drawer Box Directory.
Someone else may have top explain exactly what the \"Flush\" function does but I think you will always just have the files from your very last backup. This doesn't work like Window's System Restore\" where you can choose different restore points.

It sounds like you may have a problem with just that one job. Post that job's .esj file and we can look at it to see if we can open it.

Kerry
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

I just don't understand how I was able to overwrite that job, especially since the original problem was that I could not access it. Now the job is still listed in the Jobs folder but when I select it, just a blank screen (no left side task menu, no layout) eventhough it indicates the job is open? I get the feeling I will need to recreate the whole kitchen again. Perhaps my computer specs are not up to par or something. I get the occasional crash but have always been able to get back in. But this time something happened to this job and it's unaccessible, or my original layout has vaporized. Usually I have to work alittle harder to screww something up, this unfortunately was too easy! Perhaps tech support can shed some additional light on Monday when I give them a call.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

sorry Kerry, I did not catch your last reply before I sent my last. That file is only 25KB now, and again everything is blank, no walls, floor, menu's etc. hence the small file. I will try to attach it, I have not done that before.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tony,
Your job is gone. I think this has happened in the past to some other members and I can't remember the cause. The call to tech support would probably be your best bet.
Kerry
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks for all your help! There were some design revisions to do anyways.