Upgrading memory

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Upgrading memory

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Right now I have 512MB PC2-3200 (CL3) memory in my P4 2.8Ghz Dell. All of the upgrades of memory are rated at PC2-4200 and up. I plan on getting 2GB more. If I mix the two speeds, my new memory will be at the mercy of the slower speed memory existing in the computer now. Is it better (faster) to remove the slower memory and put it aside and have 2GB or keep all the memory and have it be a bit slower and have 2.5GB in my system. I'm not sure if I should go with the PC2-4200 or the 5300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Leo

You are absolutely correct--when you mix memory speeds, all memory runs at the speed of the slowest stick.

Before buying memory be certain that your system will support faster memory than what is installed. If not, the system may not start up.

I would go with the fastest memory supported by the system. You can test performance with the existing 512MB installed then remove it and perform the same tests again to see if there is any noticable difference.

If your system will not support PC4200 or PC5300, you can get PC3200 from several sources. You do not have to use Dell memory, Newegg is a good source and has some of the best prices on the web.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Thanks Dan. I went to Crucial.com and they have a little program that you download and it runs a system scan. It will tell you what you have installed, how many open slots you have, and how much memory your system will max out at. It also gives you choices of what memory is compatible with your system, I thought it was pretty cool. The one thing I noticed is that some of the memory was 1.8 volt (my existing memory is this voltage) and others were 2.2 volt. Can I mix these 2 types together? I found it strange that they would have the different operating voltages for the same style/type (DDR2) of memory and that they would be deemed compatible.

Also, on a totally different subject. I have been having trouble logging into the site without having to type my username and password most times. I have the remember me box checked. It will retain the login for a while then for whatever reason will make me retype it in again when logging back in. I don't log out of the forum. Do you know what the name of the cookie is that gets deposited so I can move it into a safe spot? I can't find one names Thermwood or eCab or anything that I might recognize as the cookie for this site. Thanks.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

The voltages shouldn't matter. If I remember correctly, MOST systems will supply UP TO 3.3V on the memory bus. Very old systems (as old as I am :lol: ) supplied 5V to the memory bus.

One more thing you need to make sure of is whether you have ECC or non-ECC memory. Do not mix ECC and non-ECC modules.

As for the site login issue, it could be caused by a number of things. If you routinely clear your browser history, that will delete cookies. If you log out from the site, that will destroy the cookie and you will have to log in next visit.

The cookie is stored in C:\\Documents and Settings\\<USERNAME>\\Cookies as <USERNAME>@ntc.thermwood*.txt where the * may be nothing or something like [1] or [2]. Manually copying a cookie may render it unusable though and it is best to just login and make sure not to log out when you leave the site.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

OK, I get the voltage thing now. It isn't what is required it is what the chips regulator is set at. So as long as the board provides more voltage than the memory needs it can regulate it down to the correct voltage, check. The memory companies are telling you this because they want to let you know how much power the card will draw when connected to the system. I wonder why they don't tell you how many amps it will draw as voltage is only half the equation. My computer takes non-ECC, which is good pricing-wise. Really glad it doesn't take registered memory $$$.

Thanks.