Software backups, restore - NEED HELP

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dave Robertson

Software backups, restore - NEED HELP

Post by Dave Robertson »

Hi everyone, I am looking to find info on transferring files and info to my laptop. The story starts like this....
I'm working at my desk and beside me my desktop shuts down, then can't restart. It seems my hard drive may be (picture me crying) done.
So my tech guy tells me that they may be able to put the hard drive in the freezer for 15 min.s and hope it works. Yes I have backups! So if you live here in Ontario and yesterday it was -15C where do you put the computer - Snowbank! It works, my unit came back - new drive is to be installed today. Backup, backup, backup everyone.
So I now have the program installed on my laptop but am having issues transferring file and restoring my backups to the new program. I may have changed some settings in error, (imagine), because now I can't start the program and am getting the message - Failed to create empty document. Any thoughts. Thanks, Dave
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

Dave

When you have some time give me a call at 1-877-880-4638 ext 227 or 1-812-937-4476 ext. 227. I have some steps I can walk you through over the phone. Thank You
Emanuel Leimanis

Post by Emanuel Leimanis »

Hi guys,

I also use a laptop in the shop and a desktop back at home, and backup and restore functions seem to miss something sometimes (like materials).

I have also gone to an external hard drive for backup security.

What are some good backup strategies to avoid the enevitable disaster of hard drive failure or loss of data? Also any strategies to keep the 2 computers synchronized? do I need to create a network and make one a server? If so, what software is required? My primary concerns are for eCab and my Quickbooks files.

Thanks

Emanuel
Emanuel Leimanis
Urban Country Woodworking
Dave Robertson

Post by Dave Robertson »

Thanks Emanuel, it sounds like youare right here in my shop with the same programs. These are issues that I would like info on - a simple way to repeatedly sink 2 computers. Maybe we just shouldn't take work home!
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Dave Robertson,

And any others who may need a little help here. I had the same delima needing to keep two comps in sinc.

The need resulted in the purchase of a 2 G flash drive. I saved the back up files to it and use that to transfer my settings materials cabinets etc...I just made the backup directory the flash drive.

In the e_cabinetsbackup directory, there are three files you may need to manualy copy and paste into the e_cabinetsystems program folder.

Hope this helps
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650