Won't Nest

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Russell Walker

Won't Nest

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi All

Can someone tell me why you always get the screen \"The following parts could not be nested\". It beats the hell out of me!

Every part on the list has similar parts with the same material, (and within the sheet stock measurements) nesting okay. I have double checked all sizes and material requests, but I can see no reason why this happens.

If I design one cabinet or a full kitchen, I always have parts that won't nest! BUT, I just love this program! I did have another problem last night though with a wall mouted corner unit: it wouldn't let me install the doors.

It kept telling me it could not fit zero size doors; or words to that effect. This is the first time i have had this problem, and have no idea why.

Cheers to all, Russell in Tasmania
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

With the nesting check if you have grain material selected, I get this a lot if I have the grain the wrong way and it is trying to nest across the sheet instead of with the grain.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Russell Walker

won't nest

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the reply. This isn't a grain problem, I should have stated that this is all white Melamine for cabinet carcases: direction shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers Russell
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

post the job I'll have a look at it for you if you like
This message made from recycled electrons.
Russell Walker

Won't nest

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi Glenn

I would love to be able to do that, but I am on my daugthers computer for the net in MEL, Ecab is on my laptop. I won't be back home untill next week sometime, but will try to send it to you then. I haven't tried to send anything like that before, but I will give it a go.

Thanks, Cheers Russell
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Russel,
Look at the size tool (saw kerf) you are allowing for cutting. eCabinets allows for cleaning the edges of each panel so if you have a 49\" wide panel and your tooling is 1/8\" you can only cut a panel 48 3/4 wide. The solution is to increase the size of your panels twice the width of your tooling (saw kerf) to be able to use the full width of a panel. You can find your tooling settings in Settings/Preferences/Define Standard Dimensions.

As Glenn stated above, double check your material in Settings/Preferences/Define Stock Materials and make sure you do not have the \"Grain\" box selected. If eCabinets thinks the material has grain it would cause your problem.
Kerry
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

Although you are using white melamine, it can still be a grain issue. Check the construction settings on the part that won't nest and change the grain direction from 0 to 90 or 90 to 0 depending where it is set now.

Cheers
Russell Walker

Won't nest

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi Kerry, Denis

Thanks for the tips, I will try them both and let you know how I go. What a great work together community. This would also be a good place to share jigs and fixtures for all woodworking activities.

Thanks, Russell
Sean O' Hare

Post by Sean O' Hare »

Russell,

also check that, in Define Materials, the HAS GRAIN box isnt checked for white mel.

Good luck,
Sean
sean
Russell Walker

Won't nest

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi All

I have taken in all the tips you have sent me, and with one kitchen I am working on, it was all fixed except for top stretchers: I can live with that. The other kitchen I am still working on, but following your advice have found some silly errors on my part. Any other tips on this subject will be welcome.

Our we able to play around with doors etc. in the part editor and save then in the relevant library for future use? I have just completed a kitchen with 23 doors along with 8 drawers, and had to do each front seperately. I was hoping to do one that save as a default for the others.

Thank you all!

Cheers Russell