Is there an affordable laptop to run ecabinets?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

mikesand

Post by mikesand »

The lowest price on a new m90 is that I have seen (and I look regularly) is around $2200. I have seen slightly used models with the older processors (dual core, not the dual core 2) sell for under $2K, and they had the 1500 Quadro card.

Mike
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

As of right now, there is a scratch & dent M90 for $1729 and several certified refurbs for well under $2000. All have 2GB RAM and an nVidia Quadro FX1500 256MB dedicated video card.
Attachments
dell Outlet.jpg
dell Outlet.jpg (136.95 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Do they move fast? You bet...the scratch & dent is already gone.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

In general, what is the experience with the notebooks bought at the Dell Outlet? I know they offer the 3-year, on-site warranty. For those of you who have purchased, how good is their service?

The reason I ask: I looked this morning in Best Buy at the equivalent, latest-model HP dv9260nr. It costs $2,249 with only 1-year warranty. And the extended, 3-year warranty is an additional $450 !!! I think that this rules out the latest of the HP machines.

So, back to the Dell Outlet. Please share your service experience, if you have ever needed it. Thanks!

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I have a number of computers that I bought from ther Dell outlet and have had only one problem with any of them.

One of them had a CD-RW drive fail after 14 months. I called Dell and it was replaced the next day.
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

asus makes some super notebooks for a great price,
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

A short update, and BIG thanks to everyone for your help in buying a new laptop.

Best Buy would NOT sell me their HP dv9260nr, unless eCabinets is certified to run under Vista. I believe they are now gun-shy, due to a wave of returns - programs just not running properly, etc.

So, went back to the Dell Outlet, and bought an M90, Intel Core 2 Duo 2000, 80GB HDD,512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M, 8X DVD +/-RW, all for less than the HP system. AND the total cost includes three-year accidental coverage, purchased separately, in addition to their standard 3-year, next-day on-site support included with the laptop.

The new system should be here Monday next week.

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking