Line drawing editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

mikesand

Line drawing editor

Post by mikesand »

Hello all,

Something that has been bothering me for a while is that the layout drawings are not driven by the layout. In other words if I make a change in the layout (say the wall measurements were off) when I correct the wall the drawing dosent update and I have to take the new layout to the editor and remeasure every thing.

Is there something I am missing or is this \"on the list\"?

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S. I searched but the search is down.....
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Mike,

I usually wait until I'm done with my design before I make my drawings. I often bring in the wall or room layout into the LDE just to take measurements on something if I need to. And, then I delete it once I'm done.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Brent Brown

Post by Brent Brown »

Mike,
it is a pain. KCDW and others automatically adjust the dimensions for you and let you change the level of detail in the dimensioning at any time, so it can be done. It would be great if eCabs would automate the drawings, dimensions and cabinet labels as well.

Brent
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Brent Brown,

I don't disagree with you in your opinion concerning automated dimensioning. As I'm sure many others along with myself would love to see this asset. But, to my understanding it is an enormous undertaking. Most of it all boils down to money. However, it may not be to your best interest to mention other software in the comparisons. This can be offensive.

Without going overboard with it ...e_cabinets is a free program and the others can cost enormous sums of money. We can certainly offer suggestions. And, to that might I add, it is encouraged. And these people will not hesitate to consider it's worthiness and feasibility.

Again, I do welcome the implementation of automated dimensioning. And, I hope It didn't sound to harsh

Thanks
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Michael's got a point there Brent, this software may not have all the features of other software, it does however have features that most others do not. Which makes it a very well rounded program. This forum is probably the best part. With this you have the help of thousands of users, plus the forward thinking of the developers of the software. It's a win win for everyone involved.
Brent Brown

Post by Brent Brown »

Easy guys. I am not griping about eCabs. I enjoy it very much and it is the only program I use for my designs, even though I agree with previous posters that the line drawing editor can be cumbersome. Expressing such feelings is providing user feedback and that is how we get the product improved, isn't it?

Brent
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I was hoping there was a method... :lol:

This is a long awaited feature for most users.

The icing on the cake would be if the room could change in real time if you could make a changes to the LDE...
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Everythings cool Brent.
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

I think that the Ecab developers would take offense to being \"handicapped\" in comparisons. Every time a user states that \"Ecabinets is a great program considering the price\" they are short selling the product. And the developers ARE competing against KCDW and Planit. Most professional shops would rather spend the $2K on a good product than put up with a \"free\" substitute. I went to the Atlanta show with every intention of buying a Planit package if it looked better than Ecabs. I liked the way Ecabs approaches cabinet parameter development better, and I liked what I heard (or didn't hear) about the tech support.

I am certain that the people at Ecabs are actively competing with the other solutions on the market. The only way that Susnjara's (sp?) master plan will work is if Ecabs replaces or at least rivals what Planit has to offer. In fact Susnjara (sp?) states this in his literature.

So don't short change Ecabs by handicapping then like you would your little sister in an arm wrestling contest.

Mike
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

The main difference that I've seen between eCabs and most 'industry standard' software (20-20 being the prime example) is that eCabs is geared mostly toward the types of users that you see on this forum: hands on guys who actually BUILD what they are drawing. In my limited experience, an underwriter, salesman or CAD operator usually doesn't know the 1st thing about how a cabinet or any other component is constructed, and doesn't need to in order to sell cabinets. Homeowner options and layout seem to be the important selling points for most 'cabinet companies' (read middle man), therefore the software is very strong in those areas.

Thermwood builds and sells CNC routers. Their software is geared toward running/easily outputting files to them so that smaller shops can compete with the big boys. I prefer the complete control of every option (and the ability to make my own options) that eCabs allows -- all at the right price. :wink:

Mike

Edit: An LDE that automatically updates gets my vote.
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.