Cycle time Info on 45-510

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeff Blewitt

Cycle time Info on 45-510

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

I own a small cabinet shop and am putting together a package for some prospective investors on purchasing a CNC. But I'm having difficulty puting together production numbers to compute a realistic ROI. I realize there are multiple variables that effect cycle time per sheet. But if some of you who already have machines could share with me 3 pieces of information it would be greatly appreciated. What's your primary material, and product (example: Melamine Cabinets)? How many sheets can you cut on the machine in an average 8hr day? And What's the most number of sheets you've done in an 8 hour day?

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jeff,
Why don't you visit the production sharing page on the Thermwood site and give some of these guys a call. I bet they would be glad to give you some information.
David Hall and Bill Rutherford come to mind. They cut a lot of sheets for others and would probably be a wealth of information.
Kerry
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Thanks Kerry, I'll do that. But I was hoping to get a discussion going on this. I'm sure that like anything else in woodworking, somebodies using a process that really speeds things up
-Jeff
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

be careful in your expectations, i have cut nearly 150 sheets in a day, and i have spent a day programming two cabinets and another day cutting two sheets, if you build similar cabinets all of the time it is easier to predict the results, but if you are like me and build super custom all of the time, predictions like these will only get you into trouble.
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

oops double post
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Jeff, Absolutly you are correct. Using a different machine to cut cabinet parts only speeds up the machining process. I understand that it won't change the differential in machining processes. For example, I could go through 2 units of plywood a day cutting bookcase ends. But a maybe only 8 sheets doing dovetail drawer boxes. What I'm looking for is information on what you primarily cut, what material you use, and how long that takes on average. My premiss is that if I collect data from enough different kinds of machining processes I will be able to get a more realistic average to compute my Return On Investment (ROI). There are other things to consider as well. Like (exageration) if my new machine will be spewing out parts at a rate of 10 sheets per hour, One guy might not be able to handle the pace. Sorry, I should been more clear.
-Jeff
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

I dont have a machine but I am shopping and visiting shops that do. One guy can keep up with the router, but he will be as buisy as a one legged man at an a$$ whooping contest. The machine takes about 12 minutes to cut out a sheet of mixed parts, and every bit of that time is needed to deal with the parts from the previous sheet and to prepare for the next sheet. I have talked to shops that claim it takes then 2 weeks to catch up with one days output from the router! I have also seen large production shops where the router runs 2 shifts and the cabinets were edge banded, bored, finished and bundled (RTA style cabinets) for dilevery as fast as the parts came off the CNC.
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

everyone gets excited about a dramatic increase in productivity but i would point out that initially you may have a decrease in productivity untill you get up and going, some other factors to consider in regards to ROI are not so quantifiable, increased quality, increased capabilities, higher safety level,