Arch/shell interior

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DarrelMWood

Arch/shell interior

Post by DarrelMWood »

I have a customer who wants us to design a corner cabinet for her dining room. Real serious traditional style woman. Loves the \"shell\" style concave inside top. Trying to figure out a way to display that in ecabs (just for presentation, not to export to CNC or cut lists)......does anyone have any good ideas....I was thinking half a bowl display object could work, but haven't figured out how to get half a bowl? And then there's the issue of the illusion of the shell ribs, but I could probably take a .jpg into Photoshop to alter it if necessary.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

If I could see some sample pictures, maybe I could give you some sort of starting point. Then we could go from there.....
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Todd,
I think he is looking for a shell similar to the one over the display cabinet in this photo of a kitchen by Robert Williams.
KerryImage
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Darrel,
This is the best I can do with what we have in the software..... I have tried chopping off the bottom of the display board, but Ecabs does not like that. So you will have to deal with the carving being inset from the bottom of the display board. I have attached a word doc that shows the procedure. Due to the Z scaling of the carving, the final product is choppy. Just keep your distance when rendering and you should be fine. Hopefully this helps. If anyone else knows of a better way, please post.

I took a display board and applied an inset carving (rp-fi-pl0011).
Then, Rotated it 90 degrees.
Next, Scale the carving to the size required.
(NOTE: to get the correct depth, just scale the Z value.) If your cabinet is 12\" deep, your Z depth will need to be, say 11\". See image below.

BTW.... Thanks for the pics Kerry!
Attachments
carving1.doc
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

I was just not fast enough! :cry:
Attachments
Shell top.jpg
Shell top.jpg (206.36 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
DarrelMWood

Post by DarrelMWood »

Wow. Awesome......thanks guy....I just couldn't wrap my brain around how to even start it.....this is exactly what I wanted.
Todd, the bottom on the display board won't matter because she wants doors under the shell portion, so I'd need to put a mid-rail anyway.
Thanks again everyone---I haven't used the inset carving much, so I didn't even think do use that.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

You may want to go to out website http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com to see if there are any more carvings like this to add to your library. All downloads for ecabs are free of charge.

Try this link...

http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Ins ... s/1015.htm
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Kerry,

This guy Robert Williams, is he a cabinet maker? Is that a set he did? or is this just a picture of an old set of cabinets?

My personal color choices would have been different, but that is a gorgeous set of cabinets.

If this is a old world finish, I will show a few of the elite $ customers this cabinet set. I notice the extreme abuse (or appearance thereof) in the bar-back colloms. Very nice detail to the base board all the way around also...
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Michael,
Robert is an eCabinets member. That picture was from his Post in the Customer Images forum.
Kerry