Closet Shared sides and KD fittings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Bob Stern

Closet Shared sides and KD fittings

Post by Bob Stern »

I am trying to design a catalog to for my start up custom closet co.

The standard in the industry is Shared Sides and KD construction.
I was wondering if someone else has dealt with this before?

I feel I'm working through it fairly well but have one road block.

Currently I am working with designing units without a rt side and placing an end panel on the last one.

The problem comes in when I set construction to KD. The pins stick out of the shelves and add space between cabinets. To get around this I have set the construction to butt. Every thing seem to come out fine this way but I loose the kd fittings for pricing and ordering.

Can the hardware (kd/rafix) be edited so the pin does not stick out of the shelves?

Can eCabinets process shared sides?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Bob

PS: Man, this program is powerful. With power comes complexity, so I keep a bottle of aspirin at my desk as I learn this beast. LOL!
Todd Miller

Re: Closet Shared sides and KD fittings

Post by Todd Miller »

Bob Stern wrote:I am trying to design a catalog to for my start up custom closet co.

The standard in the industry is Shared Sides and KD construction.
I was wondering if someone else has dealt with this before?

I feel I'm working through it fairly well but have one road block.

Currently I am working with designing units without a rt side and placing an end panel on the last one.

The problem comes in when I set construction to KD. The pins stick out of the shelves and add space between cabinets. To get around this I have set the construction to butt. Every thing seem to come out fine this way but I loose the kd fittings for pricing and ordering.

Can the hardware (kd/rafix) be edited so the pin does not stick out of the shelves?

You can right-click - goto visibility - then uncheck show hole patterns. This will take away all of the RTA fastener.

Can eCabinets process shared sides?

Before I answer this one I would like to know what you mean by "shared sides"? Do you mean like and intermediate end panel?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Bob

PS: Man, this program is powerful. With power comes complexity, so I keep a bottle of aspirin at my desk as I learn this beast. LOL!
Bob,
If you have a 30" wide cabinet, when you delete the Right end panel, the software is compensating for the end panel not being there. In other words Ecabs is adding width to the rest of the parts to make the cabinet 30" wide. Just take 3/4" of an inch off of the width of the cabinet. At this point you should still have all of you RTA fittings, plus your cabinet size will be correct. Does this answer you question?
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Hi Todd

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.
I tried unchecking visibility/ hole patterns but the space between the cabinets is still there. In other words, when I detail a room there is a gap that represents the KD pins. This does not happen when I use butt construction.

Bob
Attachments
RafixProb.jpg
RafixProb.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Here is a close up of what I'm talking about. If I uncheck show holes the pins disappear but this is still as close as I can place the Cabinet together.
Attachments
PIns.jpg
PIns.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Bob,
It looks like you are just hiding the endpanel. We need to remove the end panel to get the effect you are looking for.

First, double-click the cabinet you would like to edit.
Next, click the constructions setting icon. This will take you into your construction settings.
choose, the right end tab
Next, uncheck the box that says \"has right end\"

This should take the gap away.

Note: This will add the thickness dimension of your endpanel to your top,back,deck,and toekick. So double check the width of your cabinet, and make sure it is correct.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Todd,
I just noticed that if you place his cabinet with no right end in overhead view on the right side of a room and add cabinets to the left it works but if you start on the left side and add cabinets to the right you get the problem with cabinets not snapping together.
Kerry
Last edited by Kerry Fullington on Tue, May 01 2007, 3:16PM, edited 4 times in total.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Todd and Kerry,

thanks for helping me work through this.

That is the way the cabinet is constructed, by unchecking \"has right end\".

Bob
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Bob,
I might be way off here, but if you know that you need 4 closets next to each other why not design one closet with 3 partitions. You then set your shelve construction to KD/RTA and you should have all your 'shared' partitions with the correct amount of fasteners
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Paul,

I am building my catalog of different closet cabinets.
I may be wrong but I was thinking its best to build a catalog and work from that when doing designs for customers. Playing with the software seemed to back that up. But I am really new to this and need all the advice I can get.

Kerry solved the problem. When placing \"open sided\" cabinets you must place the open end on the cabinet with the side on it. Simply reversing the direction I added the cabs cleared it up!

Thanks for all who responded!
Bob