how do i convert files using accutrans?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

davidklehn

how do i convert files using accutrans?

Post by davidklehn »

I want to convert DXF files to a format that is usable on ecabs using accutrans? I have never tried accutrans before and it looks confusing.So if someone could take me through the steps of taking donwloadable cad files and converting them i would appreciate it

Thanks David
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

I just started using Accutrans, David. This is what I do:

1. Start the program.
2. Click once on the left-most folder - if you hover over it with the mouse, it will show \"Read file...\".
3. A dialog box opens. Navigate to the folder that contains the dxf file(s).
4. Select the file you want, and click on OPEN.
5. From the pull-down menu, select File | Save with options...
6. Select one layer per file, on the left-most edge and near the middle of the dialog box.
7. Select a name that makes sense to you, and make sure to use the suffix *.stl (StereoLithography ASCII).
8. NOW you have a file that eCabinets will read as a display object.
9. From the cabinet editor, click on Load Item icon (the open folder).
10. The Place Items dialog box opens - select the Display Objects radio button.
11. Navigate to the folder that contains the file you just saved.
12. Select the file you just saved. VOILÀ!

You have done it! Let us now how you make out.

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
davidklehn

Post by davidklehn »

worked grat thanks alot, one more ? the 30 day trial for accutran, when its up does it stop working or is it up to you to stop using?
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

David,

Accutrans is Shareware. I don't believe it will be disabled after the 30-day trial period. However, it is cheap enough that it encourages us as Users to pay the $20 license fee, as it IS such a useful program.

The following is from the web site,

License Agreement:
The software does not use a security module. You are allowed one trial period of 30 days. At the end of the trial period, you agree to either pay the license fee or delete all copies of the program that are in your possession.

The license agreement allows you to use the full version of the program and the DLL on the same computer. The DLL does not use a security module
Al
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Al,

I often create parts in another 3D package and save them as a .stl file. However I cannot open the .stl files directly from the cabinet editor. I first have to open them in the Display object editing area (I forget what it is called). From there I have to assign a surface texture or colour, because it loads as a black shape. Then when I save it as a display object in the editor Ecabs converts it to a .hsf file that I can open in the cabinet editor or custom layout area. THis is a pain in the but because the part usually already has the correct texture properties and colour from the other program. And if I have to make changes to the part (complex things that Ecabs can't do) I have to open the other program make the changes and repeat the import/colour texture proceedures all over. This means I end up with 3 versions of every part; the .ipt, the .stl and the .hsf version. On a recient job this turned into a real mess because all the doors were made this way and I had to resize the doors a few times.

Am I missing something? How are you able to use the parts without going through the BS? If it matters I use Autodesk Inventor as my 3D modeling software.

Thank you,
MIke
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Mike,

I just started using the software myself, so my expertise with Accutrans is quite limited :cry: . A quick search of this forum will reveal recent threads and comments made by much more experienced users, especially regarding your use of 3D software packages. I totally abandoned traditional CAD many years ago, as I did not need it in my flow analysis and corrosion modeling. Alas, I am now having to re-learn some of the stuff 8) , and retirement helps me a little. by giving me some time flexibility.

You are correct, the part must first be brought into Part Editor, to get the part to some sort of working condition. I skipped this important part - I am sorry, David! I hope you will include this in your workflow to get working appliances, etc.
Al
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Kerry's quite the whiz at Accutrans, maybe he can help you out.