e-Cab crashing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Steve Detina
Company Name: Silhouette Custom Cabinets

e-Cab crashing

Post by Steve Detina »

Hi guys;

I have been having a problem since I installed build 3. When I try to send a job to CNC and change material thickness e-Cab will crash, if I don't change the material thickness everthing is fine. I am trying to get a couple of jobs out and need some help with this.

thanks in advance and keep up the great work.
Attachments
silvercrest unit 2 - vanities.esj
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Steve,
This seems to be an ongoing problem Check a posting after yours was posted for some other guys that have struggled with this thickness re-sizing problem. Perhaps they can help.
regards,
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

Hi All,
I'm having big problems with creating twd files as well. I can open a file, select the file to create a twd, and then it tells me that I must enter less than 100 characters. Select ok, then it reads the file, and mid-way through checking parts, crashes. Says it couldn't read the memory.

I have 3 computers with eCabs. My old workstation, the new workstation and my laptop. All 3 now exhibit the same issue. It doesn't matter is it's a batch job, cabs in a room, one cabinet, my cabinet or a standard cabinet. Same result.

BTW, I have uninstalled the new workstation and laptop and then reinstalled and then installed the latest build. Made no difference.

I have run anti-virus deepscans 2x each computer.

Chris
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Seems to me I had a few files cause the system to crash changing material thickness when the cabinets contained part editor cuts. I had to take each cabinet to the editor, change material, save and retry. I was getting a \"contraints error\" message, I think.

If yo can try removing part editor cuts and then change material, just to see if this rings true...
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Pete Riddle

Post by Pete Riddle »

Steve et al,

I was able to recreate your problem and find a solution.

If you will decrease the amount of characters used in the cabinet names and in some cases the job names this will solve this issue. We have always recommended less than 16 characters in a file name. The name should not contain spaces or symbols of any kind. I realize that some times the long names cause no issue and everything works fine, but obviuosly this is not always the case.

It's possible that at some point down the road eCabinets will not allow you to save files outside these parameters, but until such time following these simple steps will help save allot of headaches. If it's necessary to have a long description for a cabinet, I suggest you assign a part number that corresponds with that description.

Thanks,
Steve Detina

Post by Steve Detina »

Hi Guys;

OK I think I have found the problem but need someone to verify this. Since this has been bothering me so much I was up all last night trying to figure this out and this is what I did.

step 1
I started with a cabinet from my lib and placed it in the batch with a long name as before. Did not change material thickness and I was able to generate the TWD file.

step 2
took the same cabinet change the material thickness and I was able to generate the TWD file

step 3
added doors, changed thickness and was able to generate the TWD file

step 4
added shelf, changed thickness and was able to generate TWD file

step 4
added strecher, changed the thickness and boom ***** e-Cab crashed

step 5
using the same cabinet I did not change the material thickness and I was able to generate the TWD.

I am not sure what is going on but any help would be appreciated.

In the previous post I was asked to reduce the size of the cabinet name. I am not sure how other shops work but in my shop I try to provide as much detail on the label as possible. eg. cab type and dimensions.

Would it be possible for the cabinet dimensions to be printed on the label. Can crystal reports be modified to collect and display this information on the labels.

One benefits for this:

when the cabinet maker is dry fitting the boxes he double checks the dimensions on the label and plans to the box to ensure that everyting is ok.
when installing the kitchen you often look for box size before the name.

Note to the Thermwood development team:

You guys are doing a great job with the software and it has come a long way, I remember Version 2.0 keep up the great work.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Last nite, I uninstalled eCabs from my laptop. I then reinstalled eCabs and installed build3.

This time, I didn't do an eCab restore. I simply loaded the job, let eCabs add all of the materials to the database and then attempted to create a twd file. It worked.

Next, I manually copied my backed up cabinet, assembly & pattern files to the newly created Thermwood/ecabinets folder.

I then shut down eCabs and rebooted the laptop. I then re-opened the exact same job and tried to create a twd file. It worked.

When I get a minute, I'll go and repeat the exact same procedure on the workstation and see what happens.

Chris
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Steve

This issue has been fixed and will be in the next build.
Thanks
walker
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Walker,

So it was the something in the restore utility? Now, what's the prognosis on the material thickness update feature when creating twd files?

Thanks,
Chris
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Chris

It was the stretchers that were causing the crash. Also could you post the job you talked about in the post “Change Mat'l Thickness Not Updating” I believe its called small frameless kitchen?

Thanks
Walker
Steve Detina

Post by Steve Detina »

I know that you are all working hard but when do you think the next build will be out.