stacked tolerances

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

KyleHepp

stacked tolerances

Post by KyleHepp »

I'm deep into designing tonight, and I am concerned with hardware placement.

What concerns should I keep in mind when placing my hardware holes?
Mathmatically, some of my stacked tolerances are adding up to considerable numbers. Mostly, the conversions that take place when translating from standard to metric
These are my FIRST jobs that will be processed via ecabs/CNC and I want everything to go off without a hitch.
Further, I'm beginning to develop some rather extensive libraries of my own here. If I discover something that I wish to change on EVERY cabinet in a particular library, is there a one-stop method of changing that, then applying it to the entire library?
(eg. I want to change the location of the screw holes for all my drawer slides)
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Kyle I am not too sure what you mean with regards to your tolerances for hardware placement. I just create hole patterns in the hole editor in metric or use the patterns on file, and it works just fine. Just be aware of the difference your edging will make if you are not using the edgebanding function of eCabs. As far as changing the hole patterns for different runners is concerned it would be advisable to create a seed cabinet for each different type of runner system you use, plus the differing drawer configurations you are likely to need, it is not possible to globally change the runners in a job
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Kyle,

Since you are planning on having your library machined, I hope you are working closely with a cnc shop before going to all the trouble. There are alot of things to consider in terms of machining that you possibly won't think of in the design phase. A cnc shop has first hand knowledge of the design to machine aspect and most like myself will work directly with your designs to ensure you get what you expect.

Wish you the best,
Forrest
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

I would like to second Forrest's post, very important for Kyle and any one else contemplating using any cnc service.It can take us longer to fix your files than it does to cut the job. Much easier to get the info you need to start designing rather then redo your librarys or get something your not happy with.
Thanks
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com