OK so NOW which editor do I need to be in!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

KyleHepp

OK so NOW which editor do I need to be in!

Post by KyleHepp »

i'd now like to create stop fluted appliques to the fronts of my bow columns. I cant add moulding vertically...
-I cant easily \"equalize\" 0.25\" deep plows that make up a stop flute.

-I don't want to use a porter cable router for this ANYMORE.

I guess reed columns would be the next step, if I can learn how to design a basic flat, 3 or 5 plow stop flute applique (composite core+lots of glaze is my plan... )
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

just a quick thought, how about using door designer and making a 5 piece rail and stile door. eliminating everything but one stile, taking that stile into parts editor, where the stop flutes can be plotted out by coordinates? then a stop flute column could be made by adding a \"door\" to your column (cabinet) front complete with margins and reveals in place.
Please stop me if I'm reinventing the wheel here... I'd greatly prefer a path of lesser resistance!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kyle,
You can't edit door parts in the part editor at this time. There is supposed to be a door designer in the future.
You can do what you want by using a cabinet and edit out everything but say the left stile. Then it can be re-sized and added as an assembly.
Do a search on the forum for Flutes and stopped flutes. There are a lot of discussions on this.

Kerry
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Here's a link that may help with stop flutes

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2887
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Kyle,

The post that Mike Yeargain linked will work, but click here for an easier way.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

If I am understanding correctly, we take an item into SHAPE; create tooling; apply that tooling to very specific points on that item -be it a cabinet side, display cube or stainless steel dishwasher :P

Once we return back to the cab/assembly designer, THAT specific part, as it was sized/milled during the shaping process is what you have to work with????

? ? ?

creating custom tooling... If I'm wanting to cut a BUNCH of stop flute parts of various sizes, would it be better to chuck up a 1/2\" core box bit?
As I am understanding this, the tooling \"created\" here relies on a tiny ball end cutter and a straight bit with MANY multiple passes to execute the MODELED shape you command cut.
Also, do I need to be concerned with the direction and number of passes for a cut. E.G. If I S4S 6/4 cherry and intend on cutting stop flutes and edge profiles, what dictates how much is taken off per pass, whether that pass is push-cut or climb cut, etc ???