advice on presentation view

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

KyleHepp

advice on presentation view

Post by KyleHepp »

I discovered a design from the furniture design share area that is PERFECT for a client of mine. I've built the room and walls in LAYOUT and am trying to achieve a realistic effect by adding a wall for the backdrop outside, and applying an image that I placed in \"myimages\"

this home is situated in a mountain valley, and I have excellent photos of the local mountainous landscape. The placement and size of the \"backdrop\" wall, as well as the distance is something I'm spending alot of time on, and without accurate results.

are there tools for making this easier?
are there recommended limitations?

example, I've tried placing the wall about 100 feet away, 200' long and 120' high, applying a window with an outside image applied from one of my jpg's obviously doesn't produce good results :?
placing a 35' wall that is 25' high about 25' back, makes my image look way to \"up close and in your face\" unrealistic also.
here is a pic taken from the actual location that I wish to apply this effect.
the portion of the house you see in the pic is the room I am designing in, and the top of the ridge you see across the interstate (at the floor of the valley) is probably a couple miles -line of sight.

what would be a rough \"ballpark\" of how to set this up, so I have something to start with?
Attachments
10-05-06_1853.jpg
10-05-06_1853.jpg (10.08 KiB) Viewed 8906 times
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

OK, I have the approximate scale I want, but the \"window\" that I applied to the backdrop wall is 40' wide by 25' high. When I try to render for presentation view, the computer starts to perform the operation but siezes up... :(
I've been reading about resizing original images, stretching and resize/resample, but this is only briefly covered in the book.
would someone explain this?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kyle,
I use a Display Cube and Stretch the image on that to go behind windows etc. You can move it around to get the look you want.
Kerry
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re:

Post by Joe Soto »

Kerry Fullington wrote:TRS-80 with z-80 Processor, 4k ram, RCA B/W Monitor, Cassette Storage
I might have to dig out the old Commodore 64 out of the basement, it's in the same box as the Atari 400
Joe
Jay Waters

Post by Jay Waters »

Kerry Fullington wrote:
TRS-80 with z-80 Processor, 4k ram, RCA B/W Monitor, Cassette Storage

I might have to dig out the old Commodore 64 out of the basement, it's in the same box as the Atari 400
Joe
Shoot, if you guys do that I might have to pull out the old Timex Sinclair computer I started on many, many moons ago :D
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

OK, I had my first experience with a display cube trying to place a \"microwave oven\"

I've only figured out how to move it by SHIFT>arrow, or SHIFT>U / SHIFT>D

This makes it hard to get your bearing, and I have to keep switching between views to gauge the movement, from birds eye, the arrows make it easy enough to move around, but the up and down is quite cumbersome. Is there a better way to locate objects like this?
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

I did manage to install the microwave, but in presentation, as you can see, it doesn't look right.

Just after adding this JPG, I added a couple light fixtures. -that was the straw that broke the camels back... grey screen, nothing... end of the line. What's causing this? I'm at 2g RAM and 400g storage!
Attachments
ValancePool2.jpg
ValancePool2.jpg (102.74 KiB) Viewed 8759 times
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Kyle,

I would crop the original image the size you need for each window. It is obvious you don't need the entire picture so if you were to crop the original image maybe 2X the size of the window, this will help.

I believe you have an onboard graphics card, which from two years ago is a bit behind times. You may also try and update the graphics card driver.

Hope this helps...
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kyle,
I have attached a couple of microwave models if you want to use them. Unzip them and place them in your eCabinets/import folder in a directory where you can find them. You can scale these to size and you can take them to the Display Part Editor and right click on each part to change the textures and re-save them if you wish.
You might look in the eCabinets/Sample ,stl's folder also. There are microwave and other appliance parts that you can assemble in the Display part Editor. I think there is a microwave in the Sample HSF's folder also.
Kerry
Attachments
microwave 24 white.zip
(113.05 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Re:

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Kerry Fullington wrote:TRS-80 with z-80 Processor, 4k ram, RCA B/W Monitor, Cassette Storage
You've taken me back to a place in time I don't want to remember...

Oh but they were the good ol days....

I remember back when Basic was a second language, kinda like Spanish is today...for some anyway.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Michael Yeargain wrote:I remember back when Basic was a second language, kinda like Spanish is today...for some anyway.
A second language? BASIC was my primary language, assembler was my second language :lol:
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Kerry Fullington wrote: _________________
TRS-80 with z-80 Processor, 4k ram, RCA B/W Monitor, Cassette Storage
LOL, Kerry!

It is good to remember the good ol' days, for sure: Apple ][, dual 128kB disk drives, 16KB RAM, a dinky 8-inch display, and an Epson printer. I NEVER had enough money to buy a good cassette storage box, though. THEN came CP/M, VisiCalc and Wordstar, and I was in hog heaven! And I still have them all in a closet just behind our computer stations 8) .

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Kyle,

If the picture is taken from far away, like the mountain scene you showed, I make a wall about 2 feet taller than the interior walls and about 6 feet wider than the window. I place the wall about 3 feet from the window. This gives a very realistic effect. You have to either crop the picture or size the wall to match the picture then choose \"stretch to fit\".

I have a pretty good computer (maxed out Dell M70) and doing this makes it jitter a little. If you don't have a good video card then you should just use the image as the window image. The customer isn't really going to care they should be more interested in the cabinets. And if the presentation crashes in front of them the fancy 3D window image effect will have been a waste.

Good luck,
Mike