Drawer box parts

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Drawer box parts

Post by Tim Massa »

Has anyone expierenced any issues with their drawer box parts being constructed with blind dadoeds? I've subbed out my parts to a Thermwood CNC shop and the shoulders of the tennons are slightly proud of the entry and exit cuts made on either side of the tennon. Basically it means that the joint will have gaps between the mating surfaces, both above and below the tennon location due to the tennon shoulder being cut proud. Is there anyone that is getting good quality blind dadoe joints from CNC using the e-cab software out there. Jobs backing up and we need advice to resolve the issue fast.

Thanks,
Tim
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Tim

Try this, we did few of this and they worked OK. Only problem is that there is flip ops for front and back.

However, I find that dovetail drowers are better and they bring the price up!
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

This is the same drower with the cabinet and hole pattern.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Nemanja,
I can see how the thru dadoe would eliminate the problems of the badly cut tenon. Unfortunately that can't be an option as the job was spec'ed for drawers with blind dadoes. The CNC mill also had major issues with the job file. Trying to run 3/4 maple ply cab parts with a 50% thickness blind dadoe that was off the chart weird. Still waiting for a response from Thermwood but we were wondering if anyone else has had problems with the blind dadoe joint at 50% material thickness? Were sitting on the carhood waiting for the Thermwood wrecker to come give us a tug out of the ditch. Thought that maybe someone might be trying the blind dadoe construction and getting good results.

Tim
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

Hi Tim

There was an issue with drawers not having fit or depth clearances with build 2 which was suppose to have been fixed with build 3. We are going to run some drawers with blind dadoes soon and it looks like the fit clearance issue has been resolved, but upon looking at a drawer in ecab nest and looking at the measurements it seems as if the fit clearance has been switched with the depth clearance .So if you have say made your depth Cl. .030 and fit CL. .020 it looks like the program has made the fit .020 and the depth .030. We are going to run a test soon and will let you know.
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Rob
I checked and you are correct the depth & fit clearance get switched. This will be fixed in the next build.
Thanks
Walker