Default settings for shelf holes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rolf Bergstrom

Default settings for shelf holes

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

What are the defaults? It seems that while changing back and forth between Imperial and Metric my defaults have become mangled and my defaults are like 1969/1000\" and 1 961/3699\". And how do I fix it? In other words, if I bring in a fresh cabinet from the Standard Cabinets folder I have these settings and since you cannot change the Standard Cabinets it must be stored somewhere else.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Those actually are the defaults Rolf--they are 5mm holes spaced 32mm on center.
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Yes, but where is this information stored??? My settings are Imperial inches and fractions. When I used to bring up a cabinet from the Standard Cabinets these numbers were imperial measurements, like 1/4\" and 1 3/8\" or something like that but now they come up with the screwy fractions and I can't make it stop. Since I cannot save the Standard Cabinets, every time I start a new cabinet from the original seeds I am stuck changing these settings. I am pretty sure this was caused by switching back and forth between metric and imperial and it must be pulling this data from somewhere since you cannot save these cabinets to themselves.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Open all of the standard cabinets one at a time.

Change what you want to change.

Make a new directory (I call mine 'Seed')

Resave the cabinets into the new directory.

Use these as your seed cabinets from now on, and leave the Standard Cabinets alone.

HTH

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions but what I really want to know is how to fix this from the core. I am helping an established cabinet shop get going on eCabinets and I really don't want to start introducing work arounds from the get go. As we all know, there are inevitably going to be some, but having to deviate from the basics right off the bat would not be a good start for them. You know what I mean?
Again, please don't take this as being ungrateful for the suggestions, I am just looking for the root cuase and solution to this issue.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Rolf,

Bottom line if you want accuracy and are switching back and forth use only metric and or inches/decimals. Uncheck the box under demension that rounds to the nearest mm. This will eleminate the dimentions growing.

Forrest
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

We have determined that trying to incorporate both metric and imperial in the same cabinets is not worth the problems right now and are going to stick to imperial for the time being.
I still need to find the stored value and get it changed for the Standard Cabinets. Someone from Thermwood is probably going to need to chime in on this one.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I know you don't want to start off with work arounds but...

As mentioned resave into a new directory , use windows explorer to0 copy and paste over the original Standard Cabinets with this new setting. At least untill someone at Thermwood can come up with a solution.

It would also be nice if we could set our own standards for these cabinets. eg. I don't use 5\" toe. Maybe Joe's shop does. Short of resaving into a new directory and replacing the Standard Cabinets with the new ones...
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rolph,
I asked about this in the past and it has to so with the fact that those holes are set using metric and that is the metric equivalent. I think it had something to do with the rounding to the nearest mm. I don't think you can change these as they are the standard. These standard cabinets are just the starting point for you to build your own \"Seed Cabinets\" which will have all of your default settings instead of the Thermwood settings. You then use your seed cabinets to build library cabinets. This is not a workaround it is the process.
You must create your own seed cabinets using all of your building parameters or you will be starting from scratch with Thermwood settings every time you build a cabinet.
Kerry
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

As far as I was made to understand, the Standard Cabinets are just there as something to get you started with creating your own seed cabinets. I don't believe that they are intended to be used for every job you create. Once you make your own seed cabinets from the Standard ones, with all of your settings and standards, then you would just use those for each job. I don't think that I have touched a cabinet from the Standard Cabinets directory for over a year.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rolph,
Here is the answer Scott Vaal gave me when I asked about this in Beta Testing.

\"Yes, Bill is correct. This is due to a request by him and others to combat the rounding to the nearest 1/32\" for CNC machining for metric numbers. It is an antibiotic developed to try and cure the Metric disease that Kerry spoke of (he he!). This non-rounded fraction format was originally only used for fit and depth clearances for the same reason. Hope it does not cause too much confusion. We’ll see I guess?\"

Scott Vaal
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Ah ha! I think I understand now. What I thought was just my system showing those 4 digit fractions because I changed back and forth between metric and imperial is actually the way it is now. Correct? No big deal, I just thought I screwed something up in Standard Cabinets and was worried that it might cause a ripple effect somewhere down the line if I continued to use them.
I fully understand the concept of building my own seeds but like I said, I am bringing new user up to speed from ground zero and don't want to introduce any self induced problems into their system.