Arched part with part editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Barelmann

Arched part with part editor

Post by Mark Barelmann »

How do I make an arched top part using the part editor. I know how to make a part with an arched bottom by defining the arc and then cutting it away. For the arched top, I can define the arch that I want, but how do I cut away outside of the arc instead of inside?

Thanks, Mark
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Mark

You have to use \"Create Part Using Closed Contour\" instead of \"Cut/Pocket\" from the right-click menu. Make sure you have the outline completely closed with your desired part on the inside of the outlines.
KyleHepp

Re:

Post by KyleHepp »

DanEpps wrote:Mark

You have to use "Create Part Using Closed Contour" instead of "Cut/Pocket" from the right-click menu. Make sure you have the outline completely closed with your desired part on the inside of the outlines.
If I may expound on this...

First, when you go into the Part Editor ensure that you're viewing the part the way you want it indexed off the axes.

Click on the Contour Icon and go into that area to make the closed contour.

In order to create a completely closed outline use the Fillet Tool and click each segment of your outline, then the segment adjacent that segment.
Supposing you created a square with the line tool, this would be: click side one (it turns green) then click side 2 (it turns red); click side 2 (it turns green) then click side 3 (it turns red); side 3-4, and finally side 4 back to side 1 where you began...
The Fillet Tool is "smoothing out" or rather "connecting" the corners of the outline. And while the hypothetical square outline may have looked like a continuous ouline before the Fillet Tool was used, I assure you it was not.

Once the outline is made continuous, you're ready to "create part using closed contour" so go ahead and exit Contour
Right click and select Create Part Using Closed Contour Now click on the outline, turning it green.

A Next button should appear in the lower right tool bar next to the return button. -Press that next icon and you should have the part you wanted, in which case you're ready to hit Return and go back to the Designer you came from.
[/b]

I hope this helps. I had an extremely difficult time with this, and only got through it because of Mike Yeargain's gracious assistance.
And by the way, once you go through the steps a few times, it will become second nature.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kyle,
Just a note. If I have a contour that is not continuous, I use the extend and trim tools to correct it so that I don't round off all of the corners with the fillet tool.
Just another method.
Kerry