Ecab speed

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

lyndon sentz

Ecab speed

Post by lyndon sentz »

I just designed my 1st kitchen and when i got to the end it took so long to move between room to room. it was like 10 seconds just to get a cabinet to move (etc.) When i went to save my job it could take up to 30 minutes. does anyone have any suggestions? any settings i can change? Im going to go crazy if all my jobs are run this slowly.
thanks lyndon
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

What are the specs on your computer?
lyndon sentz

Post by lyndon sentz »

My System info is

Dell Dim. 3,000
intell pentium 4cpu 2.80ghz
512 mb
local disk- 71.36 gb total capacity ----26 gb used, 45 gb free

thanks lyndon
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

More RAM. Also a good vidio card. Try working in wireframe only until you get all the cabinets in place. I know some of the computer guys can tell you how to set up your DT to get more performance.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Forrest is exactly on target. You need a lot more RAM and a video card.

The problem is, the Dimension 3000 does not have a PCI/E slot or even an AGP slot, so you will never get great video performance. The existing integrated graphics uses system memory though, and slows down everything you do.

I'm not sure what the maximum RAM that can be installed on this system, but you need at least 2GB to seriously use eCabinets.

The best solution is to buy a workstation class computer that has the necessary power for eCabinets. There is another thread in the forum titled Getting a New Computer.

Don't try to get by on cheap--it just won't serve you well.
Jerry McClain

Post by Jerry McClain »

The only thing I can add is the quantity of ram should be atleast 2 gig if you can justify the expense. But I see that has been told to you already. I am running 1 gig on my laptop and it is an AMD Turion 64. That is not clocked as fast as yours but performs just fine.
JLM
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

RAM should be at least 2GB PERIOD, not just if you can justify the expense.
lyndon sentz

Post by lyndon sentz »

How much ram do I have? How could you tell what I had? I am thinking of getting a Mac laptop. Can this run Ecabinets?
thanks lyndon
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

From the specs you posted, it looks like you have 512MB (1/2GB).

eCabinets runs only on Windows. Take a look at the computer requirements for eCabinets.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Re:

Post by Michael Yeargain »

lyndon sentz wrote:How much ram do I have? How could you tell what I had? I am thinking of getting a Mac laptop. Can this run Ecabinets?
thanks lyndon
I wouldn't go out and buy a Mac to find out. but there are a few Windows emulators that might run e_cabinet on a Mac.

And I did say Might
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Jon Reichert

Post by Jon Reichert »

YES YOU CAN USE A MAC...now. You might have heard of the new Macs that run both the Mac OS and Windows. They have a pentium processor now so they can run windows. Using one right now! I'm running windows using VM Ware. It's basically a virtual pc on my mac. With the new Macs the whole thing is very seamless and runs effortlessly. It's really cool. E cabs works great. Got the Mac \"Mini\" - it's heads and tails above my other imac and it's so small and cute and FAST. Mac mini was the cheapest way to go for me - Mac mini is just the cpu. You can buy a less expensive non mac monitor and keyboard. Bout a grand once all said and done - totally worth it if you want to run both pc and mac stuff on the same machine!
lyndon sentz

Post by lyndon sentz »

I really like the mac in general, but what advantage will it give me to use it for the business?/Ecabinets
thanks!
Jon Reichert

biz advantage

Post by Jon Reichert »

These days it seems like you gotta use a computer if your gonna try to run any kinda biz. Gotta pay bills and keep info organized and of course email. My thought is that you'd want to get a machine that will do all that and that with so much sensitive data out there you'd want to use the best most flexible reliable machine for getting those tasks done. Macs can cross platform, are incredibly fast, not to mention slick looking, and don't create all the headaches you'll find so common on a pc's (virus prone, freeze ups, and a zillion warning messages). I have always run back and forth from Macs to Pcs because while i liked mac there were always some programs it couldn't run. So i'd go over to the pc. comparing side by side, the difference in user friendliness is night and day between macs and pcs - Macs are way user friendly, more intuitive. Now with the capability to run pc software on the Mac how can you loose? It's the flexibility i like. Totally just my own personal opinion. I'm not a Mac sales person or anything. No seriously. I just like the computer!

Jon
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

it's heads and tails above my other imac and it's so small and cute and FAST
sigh... the day that I buy a computer because it is CUTE is the day that I give up on computers completely and go live in the woods.

:lol:
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Re:

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Mark Hesketh wrote:
it's heads and tails above my other imac and it's so small and cute and FAST
sigh... the day that I buy a computer because it is CUTE is the day that I give up on computers completely and go live in the woods.

:lol:

:joker: Ditto
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650