Shelf holes....

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Sebastien Boileau

Shelf holes....

Post by Sebastien Boileau »

Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on something i've been thinking about for a while.
I would like the shelf holes to be located in the center of the ajustable shelf instead of under so that if my assemblers accidently use two right ends on the same cab or something the holes will still line up. It doesn't happen often but it does. It would also be useful in corner cabinets since there are gables and backs with holes. I understand that it makes sense putting the holes under the shelf so when you equalize, the openings are excatly the same, and i'm fine with that but it does happen that the guys will misplace a part and then we have to fix/remake.
What would be great would be to have the option of having the hole in the center or underneath like it is now.

Any thoughts on this?
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Sebastien,

what i did to eliminate that is make the top and deck of the cabinet different shapes and/or dados, so top only fits on top, and deck only fits on deck and there can be no mestake!
Sebastien Boileau

Nemanja, thanks for the reply but i'm trying to resolve this more for the corner cabs, because of the backs and all, to be able to assemble them without the need to check and make sure the holes line up.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Sebastien Boileau wrote:Nemanja, thanks for the reply but i'm trying to resolve this more for the corner cabs, because of the backs and all, to be able to assemble them without the need to check and make sure the holes line up.
Sebastien -- It is easy to do. All you have to do is change the height of the top or bottom opening to get the holes equal. Take your cabinet to the LDE and check the distances to your holes and then add or subtract half the distance that it is out. Here is a pic.
Attachments
holes.jpg
holes.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

I am talking about ALL UPPER cabinets!
What i do is but top into thye back, and dado back into the deck and there is no problem!
Sebastien Boileau

Wally, I tried that and it works fine but I need a way to get around this without offsetting everytime I change the height of the cabinet or add shelves etc...
I just want to stay away from making more changes to my library cabs since I already have enough as it is, i'm also taking into consideration training on this system, i'm trying to keep it as easy and simple as possible.
Thanks for the post though!
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

Sebastien,

I believe what you are talking about is called a balanced or un-handed panel. The 32mm system holes start the same distance from the top of the panel as from the bottom. That way there is no left or right end. You can do this with eCabinets. You must make the cabinet sides an increment of 32mm plus a constant. In my case it's 24 increments plus 6mm yielding a side 774mm high. It takes some trial and error placing the shelf which then places the shelf holes.

Both Blum and Grass have documents that describe this much better than I. Hope this helps you out.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Something else you could try that would take alot of time but resolve your problem is when you add your adjustable shelf, don't set it to drill holes when you insert your shelf. Then take each end to the part editor, add all your holes then set constraints for all your holes.
If you constrain all your holes so they are 32mm apart then constrain the middle hole to the bottom of your end. Select the measurement that comes up and edit it to say H/2 - This will keep the center hole in the middle of the end all the time.
I haven't tried this myself but I have put holes using a similar formula into the backs of some of my wider units.
Hope this helps.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

We do exactly as Paul suggested here. I was told to make verything match the parts being cut on our older cnc machine when I started making our library... and haven't been able to convince them to change ever since. But the result is that in terms of the shelf holes, you could flip the gables either way and make them work.
takes a little while to set up your cabinets... dropping in all the holes by manually and then constraining them all... but it solves your problem I think :beer: