Virtual PC

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jon Reichert

Re:

Post by Jon Reichert »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Dean,
It really doesn't matter if the Apple or Michael's machine use duo core or even quad core processors as far as eCabinets is concerned because it was my understanding that eCabinets doesn't take advantage of multiple processors. It would only help if you were multi-tasking while running eCabinets. Is this correct?
Kerry
Kerry

this is a really good question but i don't find any replies here - sorry i don't have a great answer either. Did you look into this any further? Would be interesting to find out. My GUESS is that ecabs will take advantage of a duo core processor because it's not actually 2 separate processors. ("An Intel dual-core processor consists of two complete execution cores in one physical processor, both running at the same frequency. Both cores share the same packaging and the same interface with the chipset/memory") - that's from the intel site. I am guessing that power to run ecabs could be drawn from both cores on the same chip, so it should enhance it's performance. Would love to hear an expert opinion on this from one of ecabs software engineers though.

Jon
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Kerry,

You are correct. eCabinet Systems currently does not take advantage of multiple cores or processors. It is getting harder to find the single core systems, isn't it.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Thanks Dean,
I just didn't want anyone investing in multiple processors and cores thinking that it would help eCabinet performance.
In my opinion, if members that are considering a new computer for eCabinets will just follow the Thermwood recommendations found on the eCabinets site, they will be better off. Thermwood tests a lot of machines and I believe they know what they are talking about.
Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Multiple processors do not help ecabinet systems, but it will help out if you like to run multiple programs at the same time. Ecabinet Systems can run on processor, while the other apps run on the other. Just a thought.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rick,
That is true also. I have become used to using multiple computers to run multiple programs. I am down to three now. My wife hates my office.
Kerry
Jerry McClain

Post by Jerry McClain »

My thoughts on a single core or dual core, I still think you should buy the best you can afford to buy. I had to weigh out all the software I use and at this time most do not benefit individually from the dual core but when a antivirus scan starts when in the middle of nesting a cabinet job I am glad I have a dual core machine. My single core machine basically comes to a screaching halt where the dual doesn't even blink.
JLM
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you leave your computer on all the time as I do, set the virus scan to run at something like 2:00 am and it won't conflict with anything.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: Great idea Mitch!!!!

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Kirt F. Bowman wrote:Cool idea wouldn't it be great to do that with Linux. Maybe you could if the main computer is running a intel processor and a souped up video card.

thanks for the post
Funny you should mention that, I'm working on that right now, using a program called Wine. So far ecabs has installed but is getting a page fault trying to run. This is my pet project for the moment. Well, that and repairing hail damage to my house. :evil:

Have you seen the Beryl interface run on Linux? I'm using it, and it is nothing short of astounding. As far as eye candy and usefulness, it puts any version of Windows (including Vista) to shame, and requires a less gutsy computer to run.

If I get ecabs to run on Linux, I'll definitely let you know...
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Just adding a bit a spice to the conversation............ I recently had to purchase a new laptop as mine had some issues I wasn't willing to repair any more (4 year old well used machine). I got a great deal on a top of the line Toshiba, but could not get it with XP. My computer repair guy said no problem, he'd load it. After 2 weeks of searching, he could not find all the hardware drivers for the machine, so he decided to set up \"virtual XP\" as described above. Once everything was done, we found out that Virtual XP could not comunicate with the USB ports, which meant no mouse or USB drives, or anything else via USB. So I ended up having to take the computer back. LessonLearned: Make sure you can find all the XP drivers for your new machine BEFORE you do this.
-Jeff