eCabinets is dying!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Fulgham

eCabinets is dying!

Post by Rick Fulgham »

I am presently a very unhappy camper. When I tried to save my job - which I had of course failed to save all along - after spending half the day on, nothing is happening!

Task manager says eCabinets is using 99% of the CPU but is not responding. I really don't want to lose all of this work.

Is it really working (it's been doing nothing for almost an hour)? Is there any way to recover what I've done?

Any advice (besides saving more often) would be greatly appreciated.

for reference: I am running Windows XP pro on an Athlon 2600 with 1gb of RAM, eCab 5.1 build 3 which I just downloaded.

Thanks again,

Rick Fulgham
New World Craftsman
Lee Morris

Post by Lee Morris »

Rick
I don't think there is any way to avoid rebooting. I have had jobs that took a long time to save because of too many display objects and dovetail drawers but never an hour.
Lee
If the only tool you have is a hammer,
every problem looks like a nail.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: eCabinets is dying!

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Rick Fulgham wrote:I am presently a very unhappy camper. When I tried to save my job - which I had of course failed to save all along - after spending half the day on, nothing is happening!
Thanks again,
Rick Fulgham
New World Craftsman
It's a hard lesson to learn but one I learned very early having done the same as you -- SAVE -- SAVE -- SAVE -- SAVE.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

sticky notes all over your computer till you get in the habit, large bold letters SAVE!!!!! You might try deleting a few things at a time, but if e-cabs has been running that long without a save, your probably looking at losing it. Write it off as practice and now you can do it much quicker the second time..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

There is an existing bug with countertops that causes freezes when saving; do you have countertops in your room?

Here is a link to that particular issue with a work around. http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Rick,

Sometimes waiting it out will work. I have done all of the following with occasional success.

Minimize Ecabs open another window (like my computer or Explorer) then expand the Ecabs window.

If you can, click on the cabinet editor area. Sometimes it will abandon the save or nesting operation and open the cabinet editor. Then return to the job layout area and try to save it again.

Preventive maintinance is the Key here. Save often and dont run other large programs while Ecabs is running. I have developed a 6th sense for when Ecabs is about to crash. After performing a series of complex edits of tasks (constarint/part editor, saving large jobs, nesting operation, lots of renderings) it is best to save every thing, close Ecabs, and restart the computer. I usually do this while getting a cup of coffee.

BTW I am running a 2.3 Ghz Dell M70 with 2 gigs of memory and a Quadro 1400 video card so my crashing issues are not related to a lack of computing power.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Kent Holdeman

Post by Kent Holdeman »

I was wondering if the program could automatically save changes at intervals. I don't know much about how all that works but in some cad programs I've used you can set it to save every 10 minutes or whatever you want. I have a E1505 laptop that seems to crash quite regular.

Kent.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Kent,

This has been addressed in a previous thread.

There is an issue of the software kicking you out of the editors back to the Custom Layout, right in the middle of doing something.

Although, there is this curiosity that asks the question if there could be a reminder to save; after every time (or users prescribed number of times) you return to the Custom Layout.

Huu.

I think I'll send this one in as a suggestion
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650