New Machine from Thermwood

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

New Machine from Thermwood

Post by Ken Susnjara »

I thought I would give our forum Members a heads up. You will be receiving an email today announcing a new lower cost CNC router, the CabinetShop 41. It has a 4’x 8’ fixed table, a moving gantry with a 10 HP, 24,000 RPM spindle and a full function Gen2 SuperControl which gives you all the new features Thermwood offers. We will have this machine operating at the Vegas show next week. We will be designing custom cabinets using eCabinet Systems and cutting them on the CabinetShop 41.It has a base price of $59,950 and the machine we are showing at Vegas lists for $75,470 including everything except the dust collercor. It can be leased for about $1,577 per month on a 60 month lease. The machine can process nested based cabinet boxes, dovetail drawer boxes, MDF doors, five-piece doors (with the door tooling and fixtures), modeled profiles and moldings and rented carvings. Besides the smaller table, the other limitation is it does not have enough head clearance to run a rotary playback axis for carved posts. For those of you who want to focus on cabinets, it may just be the right choice. There is some more info and photos on the Thermwood web site.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

I didn't see any foot print dimensions on the site, I'm curious about overall height.
We love what we do, we do it well.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

It looks like a nice machine. I like the fact that it has a small footprint as well. Probably a great choice for a small shop. And at $1600/month it's cheaper than hiring an employee.

I will check it out at AWFS.

Joe
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re:

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Mike Bowers wrote:I didn't see any foot print dimensions on the site, I'm curious about overall height.
Click on the "Announcing the CabinetShop 41" in the upper, right-hand corner then scroll down to the machine comparison table. There is a link called "Dimensions" right under the photo of the 41.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Thanks Dean, I'll look again.
We love what we do, we do it well.
GaryRasberry

Post by GaryRasberry »

Ken,

Thanks for listening. Granted, Thermwood makes really fine, robust, precision routers that are clearly worth the price. The reality is that most of us cabinet shops don't need quite so much robustness or accuracy for that matter. What we do need is a machine capable of doing our type work at an affordable price that will not put us in financial peril at the first downturn in the economy.

Clearly you and your staff are listening and putting that knowledge to good use. I think the introduction of the C-41 is a leap in the right direction along with the 2nd generation controller. It looks to me you just pulled the rug out from every argument against purchasing a Thermwood router. I just can't believe this forum isn't abuzz about it all.

Congrats & Good Luck,
Gary

btw- I hadn't planned on attending the Vegas show this year since there wasn't anything \"new\". Guess I have to re-think that one!
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

Thanks for the kind words Gary, but I must disagree with one of the statements you made. You said that small cabinet shops don’t need the robustness or accuracy, only a lower price. We have learned over many years of experimenting and experience that you really DO need both robustness and accuracy. It’s pretty easy to make a lower cost machine if you can back off performance requirements but, as little as five thousandths inaccuracy can cause serious real world problems such as difficulty assembling blind dado joints or dovetail or puzzle joints that don’t work. Also reliability and processing speed don’t seem too important when you are looking at the purchase price but they become dominant factors after the machine is in operation. It took us a long time to develop the CabinetShop 41 using some really sophisticated tools and for a lot of that time we were not sure it was even possible. Our engineering staff did some really novel things to hit the price point including examining and modifying the way order processing and paperwork flowed through the plant. EVERYTHING was simplified and that reduced cost but we were not willing to back off what we believe are minimum accuracy and performance requirements to reliably build cabinets and furniture.
herb zacks

Post by herb zacks »

This new machine looks really interesting. I also look forward to seeing it in Vegas. Of all the struggles in my business, finding work happily is not one of them. Getting the work done in the timeframe for the clients is one of the hardest parts. I am amazed at the price and have contacted my local rep Jim Bullis to find out more. I wish I could take one hopw with me from Vegas.
GaryRasberry

Post by GaryRasberry »

Ken-

\"You said that small cabinet shops don’t need the robustness or accuracy, only a lower price\" Touche'. The moment I sent the message I regretted that statement. May I go on the record as agreeing with you in totality. In fact, the accuracy achieved with the Thermwood router by Kerns Woodworking when milling our laminated parts has help us to substantially reduce our costs. So just keep doing what you are doing and don't listen to me. It is nice to know you are listening though.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I have a question about the router. the 4x8 capacity, is that the maximum cut path or the max sheet size the table will fit. Will it not cut to the outer edge of a sheet of MDF? The machine I trained on in school was a pod style that would offset to past the sheet.
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

Whenever we quote a table size it means that that is the physical size of the worktable. The actual envalope of the machine is larger to allow trimming around the entire edge of a 4'x8' sheet and also allowing the head to move far enough off the back of the table to reach the tool change tool holders.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Thankyou
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Ken and Team,

You guys are by far the leaders in CNC and support. I have used many software companies in the past, and have come to realize the most valuable tools I have are a gift from you. Software and Support.

After receiving the e_mail referencing the new CNC. I was, as always, amazed. Your choice, in the production of this fine piece of equipment, will again keep you in the forefront of this market.

We just had our shop wiring upgraded to 3 phase, and are steadily planning for an investment in the near future for the acquisition of a CNC machine from you. I think this one will suit us well. Although , I would love the rotary playback, I could ride this beast with confidence in this machine to keep up with the demanding productions of our shop.

The greatest KUDOS to you all, for a job well done.

PS. Might I ask if you could do a cost analysis on a rotary playback station, stand alone?
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

I am not sure I understand your question about the rotary playback. The rotary playback axis is a rotary axis that looks like a lathe which mounts to the table of a CNC router. This axis then rotates the part as the machine cuts and carves it. It's great for carved posts and legs. It cannot be used as a stand alone machine since it needs the machine and control to run.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Ken,

I think Mike is asking if you will or can build a stand alone (cnc lathe). Since you do build cnc machines this might be something to look into. I've considered mounting a cheap lathe on our table.

Forrest