Making Material See Through or Clear

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Bob Stern

Making Material See Through or Clear

Post by Bob Stern »

When making my Closet library I have run into a few problems.
As I use shared sides in my construction and you cant put in stretchers without having 2 sides, I made a material that is .001 thick. This seems to be a good work around until I start changing materials.

Is there a way to make the image for a material clear or see-through?
I also made some closet rods out out a shelf in the parts editor and would like to know how to make the image shiny as in Chrome.

thanks,
Bob
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Bob,

When it comes to the cabinet and it's parts, they are what they are. Unfortunately they can't be made transparent. The .001\" is a solution and can be made to work if you make additional materials .001\" to change from.

However, you can place display cubes, panels or boards and texture match these items to a stainless steal item you place in the room.

Also, If you want to place a closet rod into a cabinet, you can do so in the cabinet editor, associating that rod with the cabinet, and saving the cabinet.

You can also add a rod in the layout room. Then scale the item. double click on the object. left click, edit object, then select scale object.

Hope this helps.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You could use a partition Bob.
Attachments
Bob.jpg
Bob.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Bob.hsf
(176.02 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Making Material See Through or Clear

Post by Al Navas »

Bob Stern wrote:...Is there a way to make the image for a material clear or see-through?...
I have uploaded a sample "glass shelf", which you should be able to use as a transparent material. You can scale it, etc.

Bob Stern wrote:...I also made some closet rods out out a shelf in the parts editor and would like to know how to make the image shiny as in Chrome...
I hope this aluminum rod will help you, Bob. You can also scale it, etc.

Save these in the import folder of the eCabinet Systems directory. Then access them from the Cabinet/Assembly Editor as Display Objects, by navigating the file structure.

Al
Attachments
glass shelf.hsf
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
aluminum rod 3in dia 60 in long.hsf
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 299 times