Laptop Recommendation

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Sorensen

Laptop Recommendation

Postby Mark Sorensen » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 4:43PM

I am looking to purchase a laptop to run eCab Software. I will not be using CNC and will only be doing small to medium size projects for the next several years. Not sure if this makes a difference in how much Horse Power is required from the computer. I have seen the suggested computer specs on the eCab site and priced the machine with Dell. Talk about sticker shock!! Over 3K. Looking for some feedback and suggestions on what laptop people have found to work with situations such as mine.

Thank-you

Mark

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Official recommendations for eCabinet Systems software

Postby Al Navas » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 5:32PM

Dell M90 in the configuration shown below - you can read the formal recommendation at the following link:

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecab_new ... system.htm

Computer System

Recommended Desktop System (2/2/2007):

Dell Precision Workstation 390
Pentium® 4 Processor 631 (Single Core)
Windows® XP Professional (32-bit)
2GB, 533MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory
160GB SATA Hard Drive
512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 4500 Graphics
XGA (1024X768) Capable (or higher) Monitor
Integrated Ethernet and/or 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Two-button mouse w/Scroll
Broadband Internet Access
Minimum Requirements:

2.0GHz Pentium or Athlon Processor
64MB nVidia GeForce or ATI Radeon series AGP or PCI Express graphics card
Windows 2000, XP Home, or XP Pro (eCabinet Systems recommends Windows XP Pro)
Note: Windows 95, 98, Me, and NT 4 are NOT supported.
512MB Memory
XGA (1024X768) Capable Monitor
Internet Connection (either modem or broadband)
CD-ROM Drive
Note: The eCabinet Systems software does not benefit from multi-processor or multi-core processor systems.

Important: eCabinet Systems strongly recommends avoiding computers or laptops with 'Integrated' graphics that have 'Shared' memory.\"

Important: eCabinet Systems is not compatible with Windows XP 64-bit Edition or Windows Vista 64-bit Edition.

Recommended Laptop System (9/25/2006):

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M90
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7600
Windows XP Professional
2 GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM Memory
80GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)
NVIDIA® Quadro FX 2500M, 512MB (dedicated), OpenGL Graphics Adapter
Integrated Ethernet
24X max/10X min CD-ROM Drive
Broadband Internet Access
Note: The eCabinet Systems software does not benefit from multi-processor or multi-core processor systems.

Important: eCabinet Systems strongly recommends avoiding computers or laptops with 'Integrated' graphics that have 'Shared' memory.\"

Important: eCabinet Systems is not compatible with Windows XP 64-bit Edition or Windows Vista 64-bit Edition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 6:09PM

Mark

Check out the Dell Outlet for better prices.

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 6:14PM

I just checked the Dell Outlet and they have several M90 Mobile Workstations with at least 2GB RAM and 256MB video cards for $1600-$2000.

Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Postby Glenn Warner » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:13PM

I've had my dell outlet M90 for about a month. Its got the ultra screen, 2gb ram, 2.16gh dual core, 100gb SATA hard drive, wireless card, extra battery, 512 mb nvidia 2500 quadro graphics card, XP pro, DVD combo, 3 year warranty. It was $2099. Can't tell it from brand new. Only regret is that I didn't get 4gb ram for another couple hundred $. The large 17\" screen is perfect for ecabs, and with the nvidia card I plan to experiment with two monitors in the near future.

Regards,

Glenn

DaleKern

Postby DaleKern » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 8:28PM

Glenn,

I highly recomomend you take Dan's advice and by a scratch&dent (or other) from the Dell website. I did and could not be happier (Thanks Dan!). $1800 for a $3600 machine and I'm able to really put eCabs through it's paces.

It's about time I jumped into the 20th century - now that it is over.....

Dale
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com

Gene Kimmi

Postby Gene Kimmi » Tue, Jul 17 2007, 10:45PM

Glenn,

I got my M90 several months ago new with a \"free\" 2nd monitor. When I contacted Dell to find out how to run seperate programs on each monitor, they told me this wasn't possible with the M90. The 512mb nvidia 2500 would do this, but the M90 wouldn't. They said I could only clone on the 2nd monitor.

When it comes to technical stuff on computers, I'm not too savvy. So if you find out different, or if someone else knows, let me know please.
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Postby Al Navas » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 4:28AM

Gene Kimmi wrote:... I got my M90 several months ago new with a "free" 2nd monitor. When I contacted Dell to find out how to run seperate programs on each monitor, they told me this wasn't possible with the M90. The 512mb nvidia 2500 would do this, but the M90 wouldn't. They said I could only clone on the 2nd monitor...
Gene,

I am a little confused about this. The NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M is what I have on my M90. It simply allows you to use the second monitor as an extension of the total workspace.

The following is how I understand the capability to use multiple monitors:

The FX 2500M graphics display system allows you to use the main monitor to display the eCabinet Systems screen on the main monitor, and the Help file on the second screen, without having to manually switch from one to the other.

Normally, when you open the Help file, it overlaps the main eCabs screen - with the dual monitors you would simply drag the Help screen to the second monitor, and continue to work in the main part of the program, editing cabinets, etc., without having the Help file in the way.

The screen shot below might explain the work area concept a little better. On Monitor 1 I would have the main eCabs screen, while on Monitor 2 I would display the Help file.

In eCabinet Systems, the Help file is a separate part of the program - in fact, if you close eCabs, the Help file stays open, and it can be searched, etc. So....

Now back to your original question:

Instead of placing the eCabs Help file on the second monitor, you could launch a second program just as you normally would, and THEN drag the screen that contains that second program to the second monitor. My only suggestion is to not launch anything that would take away a lot of memory from the eCabs program, as it would cause it to become sluggish.

If NOT running eCabs, then you can launch several programs and have one, or more than one, running on each monitor.

Al

Edit, to add image - extending the Windows desktop onto the second monitor.
Attachments
NvidiaMonitors number 2.jpg
Extend the Windows desktop to the second monitor
NvidiaMonitors number 2.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 12744 times
NvidiaMonitors.jpg
NvidiaMonitors.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 12746 times

Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Postby Mitch Cain » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 7:17AM

Mark,
I bought the M90 from the Dell outlet for about $1699 - GREAT laptop for running ecabs - my only regret was not getting a second battery. This thing doesn't run too long on one battery...
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 7:34AM

The best thing about two monitors is having E-cabs and the forum open at the same time. You can also drag your tool bars over for added working space. 8)

mikesand

Postby mikesand » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 7:45PM

You can get a used M70 on Ebay for under 800 bucks. That was the recomended system two builds ago. Ecabinets hasn't changed enough to render that recomendation invalid with the current build.

Gene Kimmi

Postby Gene Kimmi » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:39PM

Al,

I'm not too sure on this. I know I messed with all the settings trying to run spreadsheets on the 2nd monitor and ecabinets on the laptop monitor and couldn't get it to work. Whatever was on the laptop monitor was on the 2nd one also.

I called Dell, and the tech told me the M90 would not run a seperate program on each monitor, it would only clone what was on the laptop monitor. I'm hoping someone can tell me this is wrong.

This isn't all bad. When I get time to build my office furniture, I will be able to have the second monitor for customers to look at across the desk from me.
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Postby Rick Palechuk » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 11:05PM

This might help,

Configure Multiple Monitors and Dualview
If you have a desktop computer and you want multiple monitors, your best bet is to buy an external monitor and a second video adapter that supports multiple monitors. Alternatively, you can upgrade your current video adapter with an adapter that can connect directly to multiple monitors. You can find such video adapters for less than $200 at most electronics stores—just make sure that it's compatible with your computer and has connectors that match the monitors you plan to use.

If you're a laptop user , you don't have the option of adding another video adapter, but your laptop might support using Dualview with an external monitor and the laptop's built-in display. If it does support Dualview, just try this: plug a monitor into the external VGA port of your laptop and turn on the Dualview feature of Windows XP. To turn on Dualview, follow these steps:

Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

In the DisplayProperties dialog box, click the Settings tab.

Click the Display list and select your external monitor. If you do not see multiple monitors listed, your computer hardware may not support Dualview. You can still use MaxiVista to configure a second computer as an additional display, however.

Select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor option. Click Apply or OK.

Now you can have different windows open on your laptop's built-in display and the external monitor. You can move windows between the two displays and even stretch windows across both displays.

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Postby Rick Palechuk » Wed, Jul 18 2007, 11:08PM

http://www.maxivista.com/download.htm
Sorry guys, after reading the system requirements this is to be used in a dual pc configuration.

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Al Navas » Thu, Jul 19 2007, 8:08AM

I just HAD to try this 5 minutes ago, before going out and buying a new flat panel display to use.

In this shot, eCabs is running on the laptop monitor, and the eCabinet Systems forum on the left-hand monitor.

I did this using the NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M on the laptop, and an external (VERY old) VGA monitor - PLEASE excuse the quality of the photo, as I took it in poor lighting conditions using my cell phone camera:

----------- Al

Edit to add: An added bonus of using multiple monitors on the eCabinet Systems forum: When you click on an image displayed as part of a post, it opens on the laptop monitor - this means you can still view the contents of the post on the second monitor:

Last edited by Al Navas on Thu, Jul 19 2007, 9:06AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”