antivirus protection / system resources

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

mikesand

antivirus protection / system resources

Post by mikesand »

Hello all,

After a recient thread I have been on a witch hunt to remove system wasting resources. After looking on the internet I found an antivirus product called Nod32. It appears to be customised and streamlined to use as few system resources as possible. Any comments, or sujestions?

I also looked at some regestry cleaners and used one that found 4 or 5 issues. I tried some of the more advanced offerings but they seem to be for the more advanced users who know what to delete and not delete.

What other recomendations do yall have?

Something that may or may not be pertinant I used to have 58 or 60 processes running after startup, I have gotten that down to 54, with no virus protection. Is that good?

Thanks,
Mike
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: antivirus protection / system resources

Post by Al Navas »

mikesand wrote:...What other recomendations do yall have? ...
Mike,

I used Avast! for quite some time, but just yesterday I switched to AVG. Both Kerry and Rick like it. It seems clunky, compared to Avast!, but I will stick with it and get used to it. Then I will decide which one to use on a permanent basis. Whatever you try in the near future, make sure to uninstall whatever you are using - otherwise, conflicts could develop.

I see NO reason to buy, especially when you have free alternatives. Just dump Norton ASAP.

mikesand wrote:...Something that may or may not be pertinant I used to have 58 or 60 processes running after startup, I have gotten that down to 54, with no virus protection. Is that good?...
I also have exactly 54 processes, including the Task Manager when I bring it up. But, that means nothing, as our machines may be set up differently. In fact, I am sure they ARE set up differently.

Al
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Al,
I don't find AVG \"clunky\" at all. It automatically checks for, downloads and installs updates as they are available and automatically scans the entire computer at preset times that I have chosen. I don't do anything but let it run. It is also nice because I get a two year subscription for the price of one year of Norton.

Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Kerry,

I am sorry if I have caused some confusion.

My comments were about the free version of AVG, and comparing it to the free version of Avast!, which I have used for the last few years. The free versions both provide excellent protection; the differences in the graphics interface probably give Avast! an advantage in ease-of-use.

The free Avast! used to update automatically as new versions of the engine and the virus data base became available, but that may have changed in the last year or so - I have had to do the updates manually. I am not sure how the free AVG handles the updates - it may have to be done manually, too, but I just don't know yet.

It would be interesting to learn what others' experience is with the free versions of the virus scanners.

Al
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Al,
I think you have to manually download updates with the Free AVG version. That is why I went for the full version.
Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Kerry,

I think so too, as I had to update the AVG data base manually just this morning.

Al
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

I use the Free version of AVG at home also. Never had a problem with it. I do think that it does auto updates now. Either that or it checks upon boot-up only.
I've also recommended Free AVG to customers who use our controllers and require to be online.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Al,
I think you have to manually download updates with the Free AVG version. That is why I went for the full version.
Kerry
I have been using the free version for years and find it much better than ones you pay for. You can set it up for atomatic updates, as I have mine to do it every day.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Yep...sure can.
Attachments
avg 4.jpg
avg 4.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 9872 times
avg 1.jpg
avg 1.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Thank you guys - now I see I won't have to worry about forgetting to do it daily 8) . Just removed the reminder from Outlook :lol: .

Al
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Well, After reading a lot of reviews and compairisons I went with NOD32. It seems to be the prefered application for CAD users. I will let you know if I have any problems. BTW it is not cheep at $40.

Mike
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Mike,

You have my nod... teh heh... 8) Let us know how you like it after you have used it for a while.

QUESTION: What makes it the preferred application for CAD users???

Al
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

I have been using Nod 32 for about a yr. now. I am going back to AVG.
I also use Spyware Doctor full version. It was Spyware Doctor that saved me from having to reformat a couple of weeks ago. Got to the point that system would lock up if screensaver kicked in , no task bar. Had to reboot every
time.

D/L WinAntiVirus 2007, and it cleaned system enough for Spyware Doc to work. Spyware Doc then kicked the Win AntiVirus prog. as being one that allows trojans to be D/L . All told Spyware Doc. cleaned and fixed 641
infections.

Nuff said!
Dave Norton
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I whole heartedly agree with you on SpyWare Doctor David! It is great at ferreting out the garbage picked up from surfing the web. If it could only get rid of the folks that put it there in the first place :wink:

Another tool that I use is Hijack This. You have to be careful with it though as it will show a lot of valid registry entries as possibly being suspect. Lots of software will create an empty registry key and Hijack This sees empty keys as suspect.
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Al,

Aparently they like the way it uses (or dosen't use) the systems resourses. there were a lot of AVG users as well, but I found enough convincing posts with technical reasons that NOD is better. The forums I was looking at were for Inventor, Solid Works, Catia and the like.

MIke