Dado Ramp Length

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Matt Beaty

Dado Ramp Length

Post by Matt Beaty »

I am looking for the appropriate area to change the length of my ramping in when cutting a dado. The problem is chipping for me. I have tried several different tools btu the result is the same. I need to shorten or do away with the ramp in length all together. Sometimes the machine will plunge and other times it ramps. What determines the type of enty? If I can get it to plunge then all my chipping problems.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

First of all machining questions are better place on the Thermwood forum at the bottom of the screen.

In my case I use downshear tooling for all my dados and pockets. My outline tool is only used for outline. This will eleminate the chipping issues.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

The machine always ramps but it can ramp in lenght or width of the dado cut. So if it ramps in width it almost seems that it plunges. We are using a 3/4\" bit to do a dado for our cabinet backs (we end up with a 1/2\" room at the back for a split batten so we can hang the uppers on the wall). We use a prelaminated plywood and it's hard as hell. The tool is with insert knives and lasts long and cuts well but I have shattered two of these tools and the problem in both cases was the short ramp. I talked with someone from Thermwood if there's a way to change that but I didnt get a very nice answer. I checked the settings in controll nesting and there everything seems to be good. I am not sure if we can change anything to get always ramp in lenght or plunge but for sure it'll be nice to have that option in future releases of controll nesting
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

BTW there's an option in Settings in Controll Nesting that deals with plunge to dado pre-ramp depth so that you can avoid the up-cut of your tool before it starts cutting the dado. Just go and change that. It should help. Measure the up-cut lengh of your tool and add +0.006 to that lenght. Of course if the issue is in design of the tool that you use