O/T- What do our hands mean to us.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

As with all the former stories most of us seasoned fine cabinet builders have a few to tell. I hope to never have another. Although, I can't say it never will. I can only say I will be as cautious as possible with all my shop equipment.

Safety Safety Safety. TOP PRIORITY.

Case in point:

Last board while cutting out a job an a sliding table saw. I pushed it threw and out the other side. No problems, however, as I pulled my hand back, I managed to allow my fingers to came into contact with the blade just enough that it split my right index finger about 1/4\" deep parallel with my fingernail. And cut off almost 1/8\" off the tip of my second finger.

I didn't notice it at first. I thought someone threw a pencil or a piece of wood at me, untill I started to see the red stuff. I quickly inventoried the damage and went to the bathroom to wrap it up. That didn't work so off to the ER I went. There was nothing they could do for this type of injury except give me a local shot, wrap it up and give me some pain pills.

Moral> Keep your fingers in the office if you can... (joke) As mentioned before. Keep OSHA outa your hair. And stupid people at home...and your shop equipment up to date.

Yea it hurt.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

I too am a stickler for safety, including ear and eye protection. I had the oportunity to work in a shop where I would have been able to do some exciting things. One of the first things I noticed when I toured the shop was the horrible lack of safety measures. Even dust collection seemed to consist of shovels and sacks!

I have to say though.... NO WAY AM I TURNING OFF MY RADIO!

lol,

Mike
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

David,

Sorry to hear about your accident - I hope you heal up fast. Icepacks will be your best friend for awhile, I'm sure.

Note I too have suffered a table saw \"incident\" (not accident as correctly noted by Mike Seisser) that took most of my left hand. I still have my thumb (so I can always get home...) and my middle finger (to salute my critics). My point is to tell you if you love what you are doing you will find a way - hopefully a safe way - to continue on. For me, I opted to purchase a Sawstop saw - I couldn't afford another encounter with a table saw. It's funny how I rationalized that the Sawstop was too expensive before my injury (almost typed accident.... 8) ) but afterwards it was looked at as cheap insurance. It's also funny to demo the saw to other cabinetmakers and hear them say \"but it's too expensive\" while staring at what's left of my left hand. We all think \"it won't happen to me - I'm not stupid and I'm real careful\". Wrong. My shop and my practices were always safe until...... bang.

I agree with Will Williamson that it is only a matter of time before you get hurt at a table saw but I don't think Sawstop technology should be mandated. Perhaps in highschool workshops - I don't know. What I do know is each and every one of us should be smart enough to purchase the safest equipment available, and at this time for a table saw it's the Sawstop. I wasn't smart enough until it was too late. Don't repeat my mistake.

Owning a Thermwood router would be the ultimate for safety but for now I depend on production sharing (Mike Murray and Versatile Cabinet). This program has encouraged me to take on jobs that would have scared me even with two good mitts :lol:

Mike Seisser has a reminder hanging on the wall and so do I. A picture of my left hand after my second surgery. I recommend you each print one out nice and big and hang it over your table saw (until your Sawstop comes in :) )

Keep up the good work David, as safely as possible. Your contributions to this forum, and everyones' contributions, have helped me tremendously. And at the end of the day, when the tools are put away and it's time to wash your hands, be grateful you have them. Oh, and by the way, I can wash mine 30% faster :lol:

Dale
Attachments
10-16 002.jpg
10-16 002.jpg (563.53 KiB) Viewed 9544 times
I have no business being in this business...

http://www.dalekern.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Dale,

Honestly, Sawstop should give you a free one just to use you as an example.

That photo made me immediatly grab my hand.

Forrest
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Dale...

Thanks for the photo...I for one will be printing it out and hanging it up in the shop!

I bitch every day at the boys back there for removing the riving knife and blade guard - maybe your photo will help me drive home a point!

Mark
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Dale,
That picture sent chills down my spine and made me think of the time when I started and I was ripping pine on a DeWalt. I was lucky, I only lost some meat on my left hand's index finger!
BUT, on a lighter note....now your signature makes more sense.
I'm only here 'cause I ain't all there....
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Employer responsibility

Post by Will Williamson »

I do not own a saw stop yet. But the next table saw I purchase will be .
this is new technology and in time it will be applied to shapers jointers miter saws and a variety of other equiptment . as an employer It is my responsibility to provide as safe a work place as possible. Time and again I've seen these young people have accidents that they regret for the rest of thier lives .For the record I've had one workmens comp claim in 20 years of operating my shop and that was for a sprained foot . But Ive had a hell of a lot of close calls Yes that picture should be hanging on the wall of every shop . I did not advocate getting the goverment envolved . What I mean is that we as men and women who think of ourselfs as being on the leading edge of technology need to push for advances in work place safety. This dust issue that is related to cnc work is a silent killer that will go unnoticed for 20 years its call polmanary fibrous my best friend whom started me down this computerized path 12 years ogo is dying from the as we speak
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Will,
I do agree with your last post. Employers should really be diligent about safety. I have probably one of the most dangerous shops out there full of very old underpowered tools with no guards. (they were discarded 20 or 30 years ago when this stuff was new) That is one reason I choose to work alone. I couldn't let anyone else touch all of my old tools. I now suffer the effects of no shop safety though the years. I have hearing loss from operating machines without protection and I have reduced lung function from dust and a lot of problems caused by repetitive motions. Luckily non of these are serious, but I am still a young 52. Who knows in the future.
Kerry
Michael Kowalchuk

Post by Michael Kowalchuk »

Wow...

It should also be noted to ensure that you have adequate eye protection! Even something as simple as a bit of airborne sawdust can make for a real annoying hour or so. Those who wear contact lenses need to be extra careful, too.

Also, as Pete Townshend of The Who can attest to, loud and constant sounds can permanently damage your hearing, so keep some adequate hearing protection nearby. Remember if you have to shout to someone to be heard, your ears need to be protected.

Don't forget to offer protection for visitors to your work area too!

Please take care, and do good work!

MRK
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Seams to me most of us have had a run in with the tools. Mostly the table saw. And I agree with the need of excellent shop safety, my shop will get better. Special thanks to Dale's wonderfully graphic enlightenment.

Kerry, you have 10 years on me. And, I too had a shop maybe worse than yours; that was in a old pole barn. This was used as storage for tobacco. Pretty bad Hu?

There's nothing like life's experiences to help you understand life. We all have remarkable talents. And even in our own understanding knew before hand the consequences of an encounter with the saw. And still we were all bitten.

In a view of all this I think safety above all should be put into the Primary list of the top 3 items in our lives. If we become faint to the every day possibilities of an encounter with power tools. We can end up in the same boat again. And to think that many of us even as employers, can not dare think it could not happen to one of the employees.

This should be taken as a humble wake up call to every one that does read this forum to invest in safety. I don't think it should be mandated as of yet. I think the natural collision of commerce should unfold naturally. This would be the right tactful way to get the mechanics incorporated into all table saws. I think it would be a nightmare for developers to try and mass produce a new breed of saw. Despite their own ingenuity that makes them unique.

Well taken to shop safety :P

And lets not forget to take ... Safety glasses... (as was also importantly) mentioned in there also.

Ever given thought to the millions of RPMs we as cut men or just standing in line of the blade trust every day? What happens to a tooth that could break off, and if it catches at the right moment and right time the speed of that projectile could oh how easily penitrate the retina.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Dale,

Thanks much for sharing the picture. It's painful to imagine the pain you went through.

Do you mind telling us how this happened? Were you using a guard and splitter?

Thanks,

Joe
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

The absolute worst shop I ever worked in was my High School woodworking shop. There was absolutely no money allocated for this program. There was an old Rockwell 10\" table saw with no guards and you had to bring your own blade if you wanted to use it. You didn't dare leave your blade alone because one of the favorite pastimes of the class was running the saw and throwing nails into the blade and see where they would stick in the walls. there was an old shaper that was left over from the World War II airbase workshop that was here. It had an odd sized spindle and no cutters were available. Where was a delta 14\" band saw, no blades. We had a six inch jointer that had the original knives in it. The same goes with the 12\" surface planer. I did take the time to sharpen these knives a couple of times so I could use these tools. The worst thing in the shop was the Skil Circular saw. The guard had been broken off it so the blade was exposed all the time and it took two people to run it because the switch had also broken and been wired direct. You had to plug it in, make your cut and then unplug it to stop the saw. This was in 1968, 69 and 70. Shop class was basically a place to baby sit derelicts for an hour a day. I had a friend who had an uncle with a basement wood shop. We built our projects there and just took them to school to be graded. If you didn't get them out of the shop immediately they would be destroyed by the end of the day and from all of this I learned to love building things from wood.

This is a true story.

Kerry
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Joe,

I was setting up my new (used) Powermatic 66 5hp - I had made enough money to start upgrading the shop backbone tool. In making a zero clearance insert (with splitter pin) made out of baltic birch, I had just cut the blade slot (with the fence resting on the insert to keep it down). In my attempt to adjust the new insert left and right (to make SURE there would be no catches) I placed my left hand behind the blade and my right hand in front of the blade to wiggle the insert. I know, super dumb. Never put your hand behind the blade, I know (now I REALLY know, I could have/should have used a pencil erasor or other device). Now I had done this on my prior saw, a Craftsman contractors saw which had cast iron bosses supporting all four edges of the throat plate. The 66 is supported on three - there is no support on the back edge. The result was the slightest amount of pressure on the back of the insert caused it to \"pop a wheelie\" and the blade grabbed it and chucked the insert the length of my shop (50'). My left hand followed the piece it was touching and all four fingers were severed and my thumb had a chunk of meat removed.

Lessons learned:

1) never put your hand behind the blade - you are never fast enough to let go before it's too late.

2) don't assume your new tools are designed or will allow you to work in the ways your old tools worked

3) make friends with a hand surgeon - make him/her a free piece of furniture - if you are prepared you'll never need his/her services. 8)

Note while I take full responsibility for the foolishness, some tool designs are timebombs and I consider the model 66 to be in this class. I was performing an operation that no one would consider safe but my history with a different tool lulled me sleep, assuming if I could do it on the old saw, I could do it on the new saw. I have demo-ed this issue with the model 66 to a number of owners and they never new how tippy the insert can be. I hope this description helps people think a little more than I did. If so, then some good can come from my experience.

Dale

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thank you for the information Dale. I hope you won't mind if I pass on this information to some of the organizations to which I belong. I teach part time at a local community college and I want to make sure students know that they should never become too comfortable with their machines. I'm also in a local woodworking club where we had a surgeon as a guest speaker for one of our meetings. It was a tough meeting to sit in the front row, but it sure put the fear of dog into me. As our former president said, this guy was someone you did not want to meet \"by accident\", which was how he met him.

Take care,

Joe
DaleKern

Post by DaleKern »

Joe,

You can certainly share the info, I hope it helps someone.

Dale