O/T- What do our hands mean to us.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

No question for me...... the scariest thing in my shop is the table saw.
All my wood is pushed through with a push stick......... ALWAYS.
One of the best tools in my shop is a push stick made by Rockler.

It's about $8 and has a magnet on it that sticks anywhere on your saw..............always handy for immediate use. I bought two.
http://www.rocklerpro.com/product.cfm?p ... =pushstick

I am knocked out by the woodworking shows on TV that show the host pushing small pieces of wood through the saw with his hand. I plan to be buried with both of mine when I finally go.
regards,[/url]
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

Dear lord Dale,

That makes my stomache turn. Not because it is gross, because it is too close to home! I am so sorry for your loss and I am impressed by your attitude.

The closest near miss I have had was when I was ripping a stack of shelves that had to be glued up (two 3/4\" pieces laminated togather). I spent several hourse ripping the parts (it involved hundereds of the same cut). At some point my hand slipped on the surface of the sheet I was ripping and slid into the overhead blade gaurd. That was a shocker. I don't know for sure that the gaurd saved me, but I am glad it was there.

Mike
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Well, I never thought that this thread would garner so many responses.

Dale, That photo \"is\" worth a million words. It reminds us all that an incident like that is simply a slip away.

I don't fear the equipment that I use, maybe I should. I do have a healthy respect for all tools. The one piece of equip. I will not use however is a radial
arm saw. They scare the crap out of me!

I must admit my Dewalt mitre saw gets the most abuse from me, I tend to do things with it that would make other woodworkers cringe. At the end of the day I am always thankful that when I look at my hands I can still count up to 10! With almost 30 yrs. in this biz, that's a lot of digit counting :D
Dave Norton
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

knees too

Post by Joe Soto »

Here is a \"shot\" of what a 16d nail looks like behind a knee cap. I got this putting an addition on my shop a few years ago. The head was countersunk so I had to have surgury to remove it and the denim the split point pushed to the bottom of the hole. Yes the gun did have a safety, but I got in the habit of holding the triger and bumping the wood with the gun, well I bumped my knee. Wood, bone , flesh, tools don't care.
Joe
Attachments
ouch!.jpg
ouch!.jpg (6.57 KiB) Viewed 3729 times