changing color of cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Clint Barden

changing color of cabinets

Post by Clint Barden »

Hey guys,
Another rookie question here but, what is the best way to change the look of the cabinets. I need to make a set that is white/off white (glazed if possible) and some dark stained oak ones as well in the same job.

Should I be making the cabinets and put them in the detail room and then change the color as necessary, or should they be changed while being altered in the cabinet editor?

Is this one of the deals where I can make an upper and lower seed cabinet in the desired color and save it and then alter that one?

Thanks.
Roger Kirkpatrick
Company Name: The WoodCrafting Company

Post by Roger Kirkpatrick »

What you are looking for is Texture Match under right click in cabinet editor.
The only problem is the need to have the color you want on the screen when you do this. Highlight the door or whatever then right click and pick Texture Match. Then click on something that is the color you want.

So I think the best way is to have your sheet goods the right color, make the cabinets from that then change the frames and doors to that color.

I thought at one time the programmers were going to have a color pallet pop up when Texture match was clicked but hasn't happened yet.
The WoodCrafter
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You can \"fake\" a color palette by adding several small display cubes of the appropriate colors to your layout. Then you can use texture match to quickly cgange colors and give the customer a quick representation of what they want to see. When they pick a color (or two), you can then create a material of that color and do a change material to change all of the cabinets for a presentation view.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

The way I do it is go to materials and change the image of the sheet goods your already using and update. This doesn't affect any pricing and takes less than a minute. Then if you have a few cabinets you want to change you can do a texture match or materials change on those selected.
Clint Barden

Post by Clint Barden »

Thanks for the replies. I tried to change using the display cube, but I couldn't get it to change the color of the cabinets.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Clint,
The sheet goods for you cabinet boxes etc. cannot be change with \"Match Texture\" they must be changed in Preferences. The same goes for board stock for face frames. The face frames can be set to match the finish of a door that you place on them but they will not change to a different texture if you Use Match Texture on the doors.
The moral of this story is start your project with the textures you want to use because there is not an easy, fast, global way of changing them when the job is complete. They can be changed but it takes some effort. Not something that you can do with the customer looking over your shoulder.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Sorry...I read \"texture match\" in the post previous to mine and didn't give any thought to changing cabinets or cabinet parts.

Kerry is correct, cabinet parts cannot be changed with texture match.
Clint Barden

Post by Clint Barden »

That would be why it wouldn't work, then. I'll try it the other way. Thanks.
Clint Barden

Post by Clint Barden »

Ok I figured out how to change the sheet stock and face frames to the desired color in the cabinet editor, but it will not let me change the door from the slab oak one to a RP door.

What am I doing wrong?
Clint Barden

Post by Clint Barden »

I figured out how to edit once installed, but it will not let me control color, though, only select from about 4 choices.
Clint Barden

Post by Clint Barden »

ok sorry to bother everyone, but I got this one figured out now.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Just for the record Clint. You are no bother to us. Most everyone on this forum is anxious to answer your questions..
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Alan Odell

Post by Alan Odell »

And speaking for myself reading the questions and then the answers. Picked up a lot of hints from others just from reading. Thanks to all!