What the heck is a \"gable\"?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester
Posts: 1117
Joined: Tue, May 17 2005, 9:40PM
Location: Vista, CA, U.S.A.

What the heck is a \"gable\"?

Postby Joe Dusel » Wed, Aug 29 2007, 11:21PM

I know what the dictionary definition for a \"gable\" is. It's \"the vertical triangular end of a building from cornice or eaves to ridge\". All references to it seem to be triangular. I see a lot of people from countries other than the U.S.A. refer to \"gables\" and I wonder, what the heck are they talking about?

Have I just missed something in my woodworking education?


Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed, May 18 2005, 7:54PM
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.
Country: CANADA
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Rick Palechuk » Wed, Aug 29 2007, 11:39PM

We use that term in these parts. The gable is the cabinet side. We also call any panel that we apply to a gable a plant-on.

Brian Rowland
Junior Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu, Feb 16 2006, 5:24PM
Location: Norman, Oklahoma

Postby Brian Rowland » Wed, Aug 29 2007, 11:54PM

Interesting. I consulted dictionary.com and got basically the same definition you have for the word gable.

Around here, we use the generic term bulkhead in reference to all vertical cabinet parts (ends/sides and partitions). I wonder how many of us use that term. Is it a US thing or a regional thing?

I consulted dictionary.com for the term bulkhead and there was no reference to cabinet making.
\"Do, or do not. There is no try.\"

User avatar
Wizard Member
Posts: 5852
Joined: Thu, Jul 28 2005, 10:18AM
Company Name: Dan Epps
Location: Rocky Face GA

Postby DanEpps » Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:32AM

Right...bulkhead is the maritime term for \"wall.\" I too have always known a gable to be the triangular end of a house.

User avatar
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri, Feb 17 2006, 5:22AM
Location: Near St Joseph, Missouri, USA

Postby Al Navas » Thu, Aug 30 2007, 9:08PM

\"Gable\" has always given me trouble, as it can mean different things depending on one's background. For example, I always understood GABLE to mean the space between the pitched parts of a roof. And NOW I know that it means other things as well - pretty cool!

To me, a parallel to gable is bulkhead, and just as interesting a word. I have known bulkhead from airplanes - I prefer to sit behind the bulkhead, on the aisle. But in looking up the word on the Internet I came up with the following, from The Free Dictionary:

bulk·head (blkhd)n.
a. One of the upright partitions dividing a ship into compartments and serving to add structural rigidity and to prevent the spread of leakage or fire.
b. A partition or wall serving a similar purpose in a vehicle, such as an aircraft or spacecraft.
2. A wall or an embankment, as in a mine or along a waterfront, that acts as a protective barrier.
3. Chiefly New England A horizontal or sloping structure providing access to a cellar stairway.

And from the Thesaurus, also at The Free Dictionary:

Noun 1. bulkhead - a partition that divides a ship or plane into compartments
partition, divider - a vertical structure that divides or separates (as a wall divides one room from another)
ship - a vessel that carries passengers or freight

So - I actually learned what a ship is!!! NOT as cool as eCabs, but still fun 8) .


Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests