plywood thickness

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

David Werkheiser

plywood thickness

Post by David Werkheiser »

For those of you not using CNC to cut your parts, what thickness are you using for ply, 3/4\", 23/32\", or 11/16\". I hope this question hasn't been brought up recently.
Thanks, David Werkheiser
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

I use 3/4 for thickness unless outsourcing.
We love what we do, we do it well.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

David,

To simply answer the question, it is a mater of actual thickness. Most import birch I have dealt with is 23/32\".

I use 23/32\" on my domestic birch as well and will continue using that unless a significant change occurs. I have not had any problems outside of human error that would warrant the use of any other measurement.

I would recommend using a micrometer and measuring about 10-15 sheets and make sure the sheet goods you are using is a constant.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

If I am cutting the job in house (no CNC) I use generic thicknesses (3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 5/8). I do so because when I print the job the part drawings dont show the deminsions in a readily usable way. All the measurements are made from one side and dont always reference the right edge. So I use the Job Print Out as a guide but I figure the dado, rabbit and hole locations on the fly. Because of this I dont need to build in the exact sizes.

If I am going to CNC then it has to be accurate.

Mike
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

I used to use actual dimensions and full dados before Mike Murray started cutting parts for me. After the first job (where I insisted on full dados against Mike's suggestion of blind dados) I quickly changed my mind.

In order to get a perfect fit on your dados, you need to know which sheet will be cut for which part. Mike explained to me that he measures the sheets to be cut and averages them for full dados. (Mentioned in a post above.) It made perfect sense to me as to why: if the dados are the size of the thickest sheet in the stack, then any parts cut from a thinner sheet will result in sloppy dados. If you take the smallest, then parts won't fit together. As it turned out, using the average method wasn't that great either (something Mike warned me about) because about 1/2 the parts didn't fit together, and I ended up either making dados bigger by 1/2 sawblade, or shimming where necessary.

After making the switch to blind dado construction, it's something I haven't had to worry about as the tenons/dados are all cut so precisely that differing thicknesses are no longer an issue.

And I'll say this: I wish I'd started using blind dados much, much sooner. Mike cut parts for the cab in the drawing below for me, and when I first unbundled them and dry fit them I panicked because I couldn't get them apart! (They fit together so well.) There's no confusion as to which way they go together, so even my guys can construct boxes without having to 'think too much'.

Sorry for the rambling about construction methods, but I felt the need to qualify my response to your original question.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

David, I use 23/32 when not cutting on my CNC because it represents the closest resonable fraction to the actual size. When cutting on my NC I use an average actual measured size. I have gone to using \"classic\" core plywood for all of my CNC jobs because the thickness is very consistent. The plywood I'm refering to has the MDF outerply just under the veneer.

Mike, It was my understanding that the only difference between a blind dado and full dado was in the length of the dado. I use full dados when building FF cases and blind dados when building full access cases. Like everyone with a CNC we are faced with the \"material thickness\" issue when using dados, I would love to see more detail about what the joint actually looked like on your last project.

Thanks

Rob
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Blind dado cuts the actual thickness of the part (tenon) that goes into the dado so the parts would fit much more accurately.

While full dado cuts the dado but the actual thickness of the plywood (which varies) goes into the dado. Leaving a potentially loose fit.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

Mike,

I think we may be talking apples and oranges here. What you are calling a \"blind dado\" I actually refer to as \"% dado or tenon thickness\". In the software you can have less than 100% thickness in the tenon and slot for either a blind or full dado option. Cutting the tenon to less than 100% thickness will not resolve the material thickness issue. Any movement in the Z axis is relative to the thickness of the material entered when generating the twd file and therefore the accuracy of the fit of the dado.

Rob
David Werkheiser

Post by David Werkheiser »

Thanks to all who replied! I am going to use 23/32\" thickness for 3/4 ply. I guess my question should of been, If you set 3/4\" as a thickness in sheet materials and your plywood arrives less in thickness, do you go into E-cabs and edit every cabinet in existing job?
When I build beaded face-frames, my stiles are 1 1/2\" wide, and I make up one large frame to cover multiple boxes. If ind. cabinets are off by +/- 1/32\", I am concerned stiles will not line up with box sides
Thank you again, David Werkheiser
[/b]
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hi All,

In responce to everyones comments,

1) A blind dado can be full thickness or any percent thickness but, is most commonly 50% of material and knotched front and back.
2) If you are machining parts you should use blind dados with any small variation of the defaults. Example (50%-.01fit-.02depth knotched 1\" front and 0\" back).
3) Material thickness should be a good average.
4) Plywood thickness is all over the board so don't obsess over it.
5) A blind dado will address the fit of the joint because no matter what the actual thickness the machine is referencing from the table up. It machines the tenon to what it thinks is half the thickness and the dado to fit. There may be some issues however. Example (where a stretcher meets the top edge of an end it may not be flush). This is usually not a problem except for wall bottoms that join an end with edge banded bottoms.

David, for your application you will have to use an average thickness and possibly shim you cabinets apart slightly or wait until you cabs are made to measure and make your frame.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Robert,

I would think (not owning a router myself) that the 100% dado option would make for a great fit, as this would be relative to \"0\" Z depth. I assumed that the router would make a pass over the material to assure the actual 100% was true. Am I wrong?

As Forrest pointed out; the thickness variation would effect the tops (stretchers) and bottoms that are on base and wall cabinets respectively. That variable would be indexed from the inside of the cabinet making it protrude or recessed according to this variation. Correct?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

For 100% thickness dado since the software assumes the material is the specified thickness it will do nothing to the tenon only route the dado. This is why it causes problems when the thickness varies.

Mike, you are correct about where the variations show up.

Forrest
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

This forum is such a great resource!! What started out as a simple question turned into a string with some interesting nuggets of information and a potential jem for me. It was my understanding that the router refers to the material thickness and cuts from the top down to establish a less than 100% dada. If it truely refers to the table surface or \"Z = 0\" and comes up then that makes more sense and leads to many other ideas on how to manage the variable material thickness problem.

Great forum!!

Thanks Mike and Forrest for your comments!!
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Forrest, when you plow your dadoes do you try to set the width to match the bit size for speed at the machine, or do you look for strength of the joinery.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

can you do a 1% tenon width? Would that effect the fit negatively?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650